When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ladies DX or Hornet?

-

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi I'm fairly new to collecting and definitely new to Schwinns. This will be my third bike.

I'm picking up this bike tomorrow and trying to determine if its a 1941 DX, a 1950-something Hornet, or what?

These catalog images I found are from different years.

Any help is appreciated!

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.27.57 PM.png

1941_schwinn_d37xe.jpg

1953_schwinn_hornet_girls.jpg

1952_07.jpg

Post War. Built in kickstand, tabs for chainguard, standard size headtube, fishhook drop outs, separate seat post clamp and fender stays to the frame are all post war Schwinn features.

The sprocket would also have four more smaller round holes in it. Also the way the truss rods are mounted at the top is different, if you look at photos you will see the difference. There's something not right about the rack also? Barry

All the little things I mentioned will help you tell if you have a prewar Schwinn verses postwar Schwinn bike in the future.

Last edited:
My guess is a early 50's model. When you get it the serial number should tell all. Did or does it have a Spitfire head badge? I can't see a badge in that picture.

My guess is a early 50's model. When you get it the serial number should tell all. Did or does it have a Spitfire head badge? I can't see a badge in that picture.
Yeah, the head badge is missing. Something I'll need to replace.

The sprocket would also have four more smaller round holes in it. Also the way the truss rods are mounted at the top is different, if you look at photos you will see the difference. There's something not right about the rack also? Barry

All the little things I mentioned will help you tell if you have a prewar Schwinn verses postwar Schwinn bike in the future.
Thanks.

It could be under the crank or on one of the rear fish hook axle mounts. They were under the crank until 1952 I believe? After that it was moved to the other spot I mentioned.

Cool. I asked him to check those places today. Can't wait to see what we learn!

Back