When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ladies Hawthorne

-
Y

yooper

Hey Folks! I am so happy I found this site...I am not alone in getting bitten by this bug!

While rebuilding a 1971 C.Itoh 10-speed to use as my townie (my Lemond Tourmalet is too tempting for someone to rip off around town) I happened to find a ladies Hawthorne. I had no idea what I was buying, but feel like I got a decent deal after paying $25 for it at a rummage sale. I only got to look at this Hawthorne because a guy at the previous sale wasn't going to sell his Schwinn Breeze. I just need some help identifying the year, value, and where I can get the missing headlight. Any help would be appreciated!!!

The serial number is A95838 52CW and you should be able to open the attached pics. I can email you anything you might need to help.

Please help me figure out just what I have!!!:)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ronaldo_is_god/album?.dir=/3b03re2&.src=ph

Attachments

• Hawthorne 1 (2).jpg
    Hawthorne 1 (2).jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Hawthorne 3 (2).jpg
    Hawthorne 3 (2).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Hawthorne Tank (2).jpg
    Hawthorne Tank (2).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Hawthorne Bendix (2).jpg
    Hawthorne Bendix (2).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
Good score for the money... Here's a picture of boy's version showing the sealed beam headlight that you will need.

Mine needs a chainguard. Anyone have it? JOEL

Attachments

• hawthorne.JPG
    hawthorne.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 114
JOEL said:
Good score for the money... Here's a picture of boy's version showing the sealed beam headlight that you will need.

Mine needs a chainguard. Anyone have it? JOEL

Thanks man! Do you have any idea the year or how to decode the serial number? I have been scouring the internet all day, literally, for a headlight.

Chris

Looking back at your pix I see that yours is not the same as mine. Your bike was made by the Cleveland Welding Co. It may not have had the same light. I'll see if I can find some literature.

Try Memory Lane, last time I was there, they had a large selection of lights similar, and like the one you need.

http://www.memorylane-classics.com

Though it's surely not listed in their online inventory, give them a call, just be prepared to almost triple your investment in the bike.

Wes

Thanks! I have no problem dropping the extra money on this bike. I am truly going to enjoy riding it. I will check out Memory Lane and see what they can do.

Thanks again!

I used to have a 1957 (or 58) girls 26" Hawthorn. It was blue, with chrome fenders. The seat was checkered blue and white. The handgrips were white. Sure wish I could locate it. What a sweet ride. Does anyone have a picture from a catalog?

Yooper, you definitely scored on that one! I bought a similar one in not nearly as nice condition for more $. RMS 37 is our resident guru of these bikes, and I know from him that the 52 CW indicates the year give or take, and the blue & red 'crest' badge came out on 1950 models and used throught the 50s.

Back