When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lambert of England

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you look at my pictures of the death fork you can see the roll pin that failed (close up picture) and allowed the cast aluminum bottom of the fork seperate from the steel steer tube. I replaced the bottom brackets bearings in my blue bike and had no problem finding them at a bearing supply store. They were not in stock but they had them in a couple of days.

If you look at my pictures of the death fork you can see the roll pin that failed (close up picture) and allowed the cast aluminum bottom of the fork seperate from the steel steer tube. I replaced the bottom brackets bearings in my blue bike and had no problem finding them at a bearing supply store. They were not in stock but they had them in a couple of days.

My pondering was that the mild steel frame and it's flexible nature might of contributed to the fork failure but at first glance I find it odd that they chose an aluminum gravity cast fork with a steel steering tube. Could it of been that the roll pin was added as a secondary capture mechanism to prevent a total separation of the dissimilar metals? This we will never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-----

100bikes -

I think that rim name was Birmalux rather than Benelux. It is a brand name belonging to the Birmetals Ltd company. Today the company is called Birmabright. In cycle fittings they are probably better known for their alloy saddle pillars than their wheel rims.

72CA8568-F2F2-4143-90A2-8BF9925AD0C7.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmabright

-----

My pondering was that the mild steel frame and it's flexible nature might of contributed to the fork failure but at first glance I find it odd that they chose an aluminum gravity cast fork with a steel steering tube. Could it of been that the roll pin was added as a secondary capture mechanism to prevent a total separation of the dissimilar metals? This we will never know.

You're right , the first production forks were without the pin. This was added later on on subsequent production runs, presumably due to early breakages I surmise.
The initial batch of frames were lugged, an example is shown below from the CR site......
Lamb_headL.jpg

They were also fully lugged throughout, including the seat stay/seat tube/top tube area, whereas yours appears fillet brazed @kwoodyh.
A 'transitional' frame perhaps, or a later repair as suggested by @100bikes above?
Are the lugs on yours similar to the shot I've posted, or are they different? Hard to tell from your initial photo.

-----

Bikes were either lugged or lugless. There were no combination construction frames.

Example under discussion has had the head and fork of an ordinary Japanese machine grafted onto the Lambert frame. That trim tape seen nowhere else is there for a reason! Saw one other done similarly in a CL advert. It was rougher. Agree with the suggestion of 100bikes above.

dnc1 - lug pattern on your example is BOCAMA 30-II.

Lambert also employed BOCAMA lug pattern 18-II as seen on the Super Sports model below -

hx64c5.jpg

---

Here is a diagram of the aluminum fork construction -

lambert-fork-article.jpg

-----

35ml24w.jpg

hx64c5.jpg

Last edited:
You're right , the first production forks were without the pin. This was added later on on subsequent production runs, presumably due to early breakages I surmise.
The initial batch of frames were lugged, an example is shown below from the CR site......
View attachment 752366
They were also fully lugged throughout, including the seat stay/seat tube/top tube area, whereas yours appears fillet brazed @kwoodyh.
A 'transitional' frame perhaps, or a later repair as suggested by @100bikes above?
Are the lugs on yours similar to the shot I've posted, or are they different? Hard to tell from your initial photo.

I'll check but right now I'm waiting on the ice to melt on my truck! All this Lambert talk is making me hungry!
0173cf1f2f6a91e984d3b3b69c0f9eb6.jpg
It's a world famous cafe (at least around here) for the rolls which are tossed around the room as they come out of the kitchen! There's probably something on the YouTube?

-----

Found it!

The "other" example of a grafted frame Lambert I mentioned above was the the same bicycle. It was listed in a San Francisco area craigslist advert of 13 November 2016 as a free item put out at the curb.

Here is the poster's photo -

grafted Lambert .jpg

In order to perform the graft without messing up the Lambert's finish some method of clamping/plugging must have been employed. kwoodyh - if you possess this machine I would recommend against using it for safety reasons.

-----

-----

Found it!

The "other" example of a grafted frame Lambert I mentioned above was the the same bicycle. It was listed in a San Francisco area craigslist advert of 13 November 2016 as a free item put out at the curb.

Here is the poster's photo -

View attachment 752447

In order to perform the graft without messing up the Lambert's finish some method of clamping/plugging must have been employed. kwoodyh - if you possess this machine I would recommend against using it for safety reasons.

-----

CSI Lambert! Oh hell and this bike also came out of Wisconsin and has some suspect looking corrosion at the front lugs! I'm guessing with the corrosion, icy road conditions and possible "death forks" it's a perfect candidate for "what bike didn't I ride today"!

Hi guys, I'm new here and have been looking into Viscount Aerospace bikes lately. I had one many years ago when they came out in australia. It seems that most of the achievements were made when they were called Lamberts. I especially like the frame shape due to the fillet brazing and lack of lugs and close seat stays, the stem shape is very cool, also the unique chainring, and amazing alu fork. The Birmalux rims had dome shapes at the spoke holes like on old motorbike rims. Other parts looked like copies of (or "inspired" from) continental brands. In any case I liked the new approach with the cartridge bearings, back then, and eventhough they were easy to replace, I didn't like them in the end, so replaced the hubs and eventually also the frame. The frame had cracked under the seat bolt, My brother had one too on which the rear drop out, dropped out...
I never heard of a alum fork breaking, just recall & the bad reputation. It's a pity about the DF name for the forks realy set in and that after apparently 30 recorded cases of broken forks and no deaths. I've read that the mark 3 fork, right in the drawing above and with telltale circular depression (as seen above on the washer lid), no longer had the issue. Yeah I'd like to get one. In England there are yearly rides called Death Fork Rally, and there are cool stickers for those fork blades...
In my search I have; as started above, also seen different variations of frames with some lugs: some head tube, some BB. These were Viscounts, so later than the Lamberts in question above.

Back