When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large size vintage frames

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Peatbog

On Training Wheels
Hello,

I built this bike as a road-going bike:

44.jpg

It is an old Schwinn frame with an old fork of some kind. The problem is the frame is smaller than I would like. The seat post is actually still too low in this photo, and the top tube could be a little longer. The bike just does not fit correctly. A 25 mile ride gets a bit uncomfortable. The fork can get a bit wobbly at times also. Are there any vintage frames that are bigger-sized? And at a non-collector kind of price? I am not really looking for a diamond frame. I would like something curvy like the Schwinn frame or at least something different than just a standard diamond frame. I would run 700c wheels.

I just don't know enough about older bikes to know. I have been searching but it is hard to find what the actual size of anything is.

I've asked that question before. I'm 6' and weight 340#. A typical 26" bike is a bit cramped for me. There are "long frame" bikes but the others guys here will have to point them out.

As an interim solution, I've considered putting a banana seat on a 26" frame so I can sit farther back.

Last edited:
Tall/Bike Frames Hard to Find

S1.jpg

My Racer is a 23" frame and is the largest "vintage" frame I have found. I think Schwinn made another model in this size.

I also have a 23" frame Rabeneick, a German made bike from the 70's. It's a 3 speed with 700c tires and while a bit heavy, rides nice for long distances.

Another alterntive is road bikes. They come in various sizes from small to huge. I found a large frame World Sport in poor condition, did a repaint, and installed upright handle bar. (also had to recut cables and install new brake levers). It's an 1984 model so it is a bit "vintage, but is a good size for me and fun to ride.

I'm sure there are other big frame bikes out there, but they can be hard to find if you're looking for older bikes or cruisers.

I had an early 50's firestone super cruiser, and that bike seemed like it was bigger than most cruisers.

Most manufacturers in the 30s offered a 20" frame as an option to the standard 18" frames.. unfortunately these are hard to find and typically a little more pricey because they're desirable to anybody 6'+. If you're only looking for a bare frameset and non-original paint, you can probably score a good deal on here.

Thanks for the information everyone. I didn't even know there was a 20" alternative to the typical 18"ers. So it appears I look for one of those if I desire a ballooner or something in a non-ballooner that is older that has a larger frame. This is useful information to me as I do a search. Thanks.

Here's a dumb question....Schwinn and others made tall frame, what I call "skinny tired" bikes. Example is a Varsity in tall. My question, what is the fattest tire you can run on one of those? Would it be impossible to put S2 wheels on one? Make a coaster out of it? Just thinkin'...

Mike

Back