When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

last 73 Schwinn Krate made date?

-

Oldbikeaddiction

On Training Wheels
Hi, first time post, I mainly collect Manta rays but was fortunate to purchase a mint red apple Krate here in Chicago from a guy 87 yrs young that kept it up very nice. Paint is super nice as is seat, chrome, could not 'not' buy it. Needed it like another hole in my head but I knew I would not find another like this anytime soon and it came from the same bike dealer I got my bike in 73 (same year but my parents forced me to get a Varsity).

I thought with a JJ62 first part of the serial number, it could be one of the last ones made, but its just a guess. Would be kind cool to know if they made JK krates, that would put my curiosity to rest. If anyone knows, let me know. All curiosity, triggered by some schwinn folks I do know thought it was interesting it was a JJ bike but provided no details on why.

-bob (too many Mantas, one Krate)

Last edited:
Schwinn's "normal" production for the next year's models were built with pre stamped drop outs wearing November serial numbers. There is a chance that some early LJ Krates were the last 73's built depending on orders, inventory, model batch runs etc.. October serial bikes were "normally" the last of the years production.

Thanks. I would think in this case that maybe with the end of 6 yrs of production, they may have phased out all the 'expensive' unique disc brake inventory on hand (they all had disc brakes), the unique springer fork also, knowing there was not going to be a 74 model krate, OR another variant using those parts. It would be hard to end production in October with perfect timing, the goal by Schwinn I would think would not to have any extra parts left over that were part of production. Maybe it went to November if they had too many parts, but I would think planning to end in September would be more logical and safe (sales demand was no longer there). I will ask a local bike shop near me to see if they may know, for curiosity, they have a large collection of old krate bikes here in Illinois. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Will do. I did find out there is a KJ krate out there (October). I will see how to post a picture. It is truely a beautiful bike to look at and even ride. My work computer blocks me from posting pictures but my phone does not. So I am going to see if I can do it from there to thecabe.

Will do. I did find out there is a KJ krate out there (October). I will see how to post a picture. It is truely a beautiful bike to look at and even ride. My work computer blocks me from posting pictures but my phone does not. So I am going to see if I can do it from there to thecabe.
You can, take photos with the phone make a post and attach.

Thanks. I would think in this case that maybe with the end of 6 yrs of production, they may have phased out all the 'expensive' unique disc brake inventory on hand (they all had disc brakes), the unique springer fork also, knowing there was not going to be a 74 model krate, OR another variant using those parts. It would be hard to end production in October with perfect timing, the goal by Schwinn I would think would not to have any extra parts left over that were part of production. Maybe it went to November if they had too many parts, but I would think planning to end in September would be more logical and safe (sales demand was no longer there). I will ask a local bike shop near me to see if they may know, for curiosity, they have a large collection of old krate bikes here in Illinois. Thanks again!
I agree, but Schwinn did keep parts in inventory for warranty work, at least for a few years. In the late 1980s I could still buy some of these parts from my local Schwinn dealer, and they were rebuilding Krate bikes an selling them for a (then) princely sum of $500
No color matched Krate seats though Only Silverglow with color stripe.
I bought (all) brand new in the bag Krate front wheel, tire and tube and a Springer at an independant bike shop for $15 that year. Those were the days.
Rob

Back