When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 1880s Pope/Columbia High Wheel Bicycle 55"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
2000 OBO
Payment Terms
Cash App, Venmo, PayPal, Cash Preferred
Zipcode

jon_handy

On Training Wheels
First time Forum user - apologies if the ad is missing something.

I came into an old High Wheel bicycle, looking to sell. I know next to nothing about them. Photos attached and can add more on request. Measures 55 inches, has one of the original wooden handlebar grips. Looks green in photos but that is just a patina which can be polished off. Dust plate suggests it was manufactured by Pope. Serial number in photos. Unsure of reasonable price, feel free to inquire with offers, would consider cash plus trade possibly.

20231111_075357.jpg

20231111_075401.jpg

20231111_075415.jpg

20231111_075504.jpg

20231111_075514.jpg

20231111_075521.jpg

20231111_075530.jpg

20231111_075536.jpg

Not Columbia.
Columbia never made a 55" inch high wheel with radial spokes, only in even inch sizes. Tangential (cross spoked) wheels came in odd inch sizes in 1885 with the introduction of their Columbia Light Roadster model and in 1888-1892 Light Roadsters were also available in even inch sizes as well.
Cranks, pedals, seat (and modified seat post welded/brazed into back bone) are modern.
Can't make out the mounting step design either.
Squared tops of hub flanges could be Columbia but most Columbia's I've had/seen had a crowned shaped top edge on their hub flanges.
I do not see the inner front bearing adjuster toothed edge or the stop dog to hold bearing adjustment, just the hole for the screw for this stop dog.
Front bearings have numbers I haven't seen before either.
Handle bars are not the way Columbia mounted theirs to the steering head.
Front fork bolt mounting to bearing cases are not Columbia and serial numbers above the hex head bolt head is not known to me.
Steering head adjustment bolt and nut not Columbia.
I also see a diagonal line in the steering head plate going through the serial number that looks like a casting line, starting to crack, has been repaired or marking from a vise jaw or tool to straighten it? I've never seen a serial number like this either.
Thinking either a less expensive American make OR European make OR marrying of some original parts by someone?

Need my friend Mr. Toppin's opinion here.

Mike Cates, CA.

Last edited:
I will be creating an updated posting - this is actually a Rudge, but someone put a Pope Dust Shield on it.

Well, the bike MAY be Rudge, the bearings appear to be. The backbone doesn't look correct for the bike or for a Rudge. Rudge would be stamped on the neck. Someone has respoked it with non double butted spokes. I would say at least the fork and wheels are from Rudge #2 or American Rudge, same bike, different name for the two markets I think. That being said, you aren't too far off in price, and the wheel is an even number size, either 54 or 56. Measure from center of center of hub/axle to the outside of the tire and double it.

Back