When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 1890's F.F. Ide Special Bicycle

-

Global Cartel

On Training Wheels
I'm looking for wood rims and pedals for this bike. Is it realistic to try to find period rims and pedals? Are there other acceptable options for rims? I want to keep this for my collection but I really don't know which direction to take. Thank you for any help.

IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

Contact the Wheelmen club librarian. They can send you copies of the 1894, 1895, and 1897 Ide catalogs. There should be plenty of information you can use. Incidentally, the curved cranks that were the distinguishing feature of Ide bikes were also available in a curved "S" shape and built in spring steel. The theory behind this design was supposedly to aid in hill climbing. When the rider stood up on the pedals, the cranks would stretch out longer giving the rider more leverage. My Ide had the "S" cranks and they hardly budged an inch. An interesting idea, but not all that practical.

Nice Cycle,

The Ide has very nice lug work. You can just make this out in the photos. Look carefully and you should may a patent date stamped in the lug. This
may be more apparent if you remove the fork. I believe that the steer tube is lugged and has a patent date. I had a Ide tandem with these features.
If your wheels were 28" I have some original wood rims. I don't believe that I have hubs. Or you could use Stutzman rims for a good rider.
Best,
Glenn

First year for Ide bicycle was 1894.

From November 17, 1893 issue of The Bearings:

From December 22, 1893 issue of The Bearings. Ide with straight crank arms:

From October 31, 1895 issue of The Bearings. Ide with curved crank arms:

From November 28, 1895 issue of The Bearings. Ide Mfg. Co. makes all their own parts including hubs:

From 1896 Ide catalog:

Last edited:
Nice Cycle,

The Ide has very nice lug work. You can just make this out in the photos. Look carefully and you should may a patent date stamped in the lug. This
may be more apparent if you remove the fork. I believe that the steer tube is lugged and has a patent date. I had a Ide tandem with these features.
If your wheels were 28" I have some original wood rims. I don't believe that I have hubs. Or you could use Stutzman rims for a good rider.
Best,
Glenn
Yes from the catalog it looks like they are 28". I would definitely want a set with hubs etc. I'll check out the Stutzman. I did read about the lugs, one of the first things I noticed when I bought it. Very cool. Thank you for the info.

Back