When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 30’s Elgin ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Steelcraft1937

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey guys! You may have seen me posting in the pedal car area on this site. I’ve always admired balloon tire bikes and wanted one. I found this Elgin listed on my local FB marketplace and decided to grab it for cheap money. Maybe you guys can educate me a bit on what exactly it is and what year? I know it’s missing the fenders and possibly tanks? Thanks in advance!

DB82015C-55DC-4493-8924-98F16402B03B.jpeg

150E92B2-55D4-448F-AC94-0D441B2F1F04.jpeg

59B442AC-3330-4DCE-B4FA-42AB8166419C.jpeg

9195F2CA-A12F-4456-8C8B-4C087EDC6BB0.jpeg

97D50A16-D595-4C23-A310-A4A7B27AFD74.jpeg

DC21762D-A536-44E7-A5CC-D9B1934572E3.jpeg

Hi @Steelcraft1937

Thanks @Archie Sturmer (-;

As Archie says, F145723 H9 was made in September 1941.

It was made by Westfield for Sears to sell out of their catalogue under the Elgin name. The contract ended soon after this one was made.

You should be able to find other examples by searching the site.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you very much! I actually did some
Digging on my own before I saw your comment here and figured out it was Westfield made through a separate thread on here comparing the differences between the Westfield and Murray built frames. I have a feeling this could become a very addictive hobby hahaha

Hi again,

now I'm home, and able to look at my records, I see that there is a very close numbered survivor to yours

F145728, only 5 off, which is one of the closest I've seen.

Interesting to see that although it's the same frame, it is a different badge (Sterling) and chainwheel. Yours is correct for an Elgin, and I think this 'Coffin' type is probably original for the Sterling, as it is the standard Westfield ring for the time.

Other than that, your's probably looked similar when built.

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, when they say the Sterling has litle value, it's in comparison to the Indian, which is an expensive bike, worth several times the Sterling.

Hi again,

now I'm home, and able to look at my records, I see that there is a very close numbered survivor to yours

F145728, only 5 off, which is one of the closest I've seen.

Interesting to see that although it's the same frame, it is a different badge (Sterling) and chainwheel. Yours is correct for an Elgin, and I think this 'Coffin' type is probably original for the Sterling, as it is the standard Westfield ring for the time.

Other than that, your's probably looked similar when built.

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, when they say the Sterling has litle value, it's in comparison to the Indian, which is an expensive bike, worth several times the Sterling.
Thanks for digging so deep into that and sharing your knowledge!

I have a Murray built Curve mast Elgin myself. 1940-41 (likely the 1940 model was built in mid to later '39 and advertised as a new model 1940 as many Christmas models were but I was always under the impression these were a two year only style frame and I've yet to see a 1939 ad depicting otherwise.

Unfortunately, my frame is without Serial. It's been salted too bad underneath to be sure, but it is an original Orange and Creme in scheme.

I really like that yours has the style of Chainring it does. I'd thought about a Twinbar Solid on mine but I like that a lot more.

Erin

Back