When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 30's Elgin extreme makeover.

-

sandmangts

Look Ma, No Hands!
I found a 1936-38 Elgin that was in quite poor condition so I figured it would be a good frame for me to learn to braze on. I figured if I screwed it up I had nothing to lose. Anyway here is how it started:
IMG_8001_zpsbe1902cd-1.jpg

I learned to braze by watching Youtube. I saw some folks using these crappy bolt on adaptors to put cantilever or disk brakes on vintage frames and I thought I could do better. Then I decided I wanted modern gearing and modern front suspension. So here are the steps I took after sand blasting.
1. Cut out the old chainstay brace.
2. Cold set the frame to 135mm rear wheel spacing.
3 Re-align the frame.
4. Braze in a new chainstay brace.
5. Braze on a disk brake mount using an old hub and rotor and disc caliper as a jig.
6. Braze on cable guides.
7. Turn down a headset to fit the headtube.
8. Mill a TruVativ BB adaptor to fit the BB shell so I can run a moderm bottom bracket.
9. Fill pits and low spots with hot brass.
10. Reinforce the rear end with dropout braces.
11. Reinforce all the welds.
12. Primer and paint.
13. Acid etch custom headbadge.
14. Assemble.
15. Ride it until it breaks.

Oh and I forgot, flatten and trim the drop tabs and fashion the right one into a derailler hanger using a tap and die set.

Here is what I ended up with. I have been riding it hard for about 2 weeks. It weighs in at just under 35 pounds and it rides beautifully.
IMG_8591_zpsa80d8775-1.jpg

IMG_8575_zps1ec693e0-1.jpg

IMG_0485_zps3d715eb7-1.jpg

IMG_0486_zps06d5db33-1.jpg

IMG_0344-1.jpg

IMG_0341-1.jpg

IMG_0338-1.jpg

Now that's how you do a klunker! Nice work. Perfect way to resurrect a bare, neglected frame.

I was thinking he same thing, but given that tanks on these bikes are often the most valuable part, I understand its absence.

It'd be neat to make a looker out of but as far as an actual, functional off-road machine goes.. it'd be pretty impractical :o This definitely looks like it will get some dirty miles put on it.

Back