When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late 30's Hiawatha fork

-

GeorgeK54

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking for a fork for my late 30's Hiawatha CWC built, need all the hardware also....thank you

Can you post a picture of the bike? I should have the fork you need, if it's CWC made, but I have a feeling, it's a postwar 40's bike, not 30's, or it's a Hawthorne, and not Hiawatha. Hiawathas weren't made by CWC in the 30's, they were only made after the war by CWC.

Can you post a picture of the bike? I should have the fork you need, if it's CWC made, but I have a feeling, it's a postwar 40's bike, not 30's, or it's a Hawthorne, and not Hiawatha. Hiawathas weren't made by CWC in the 30's, they were only made after the war by CWC.

72048612_2402771863109182_1394438119935180800_o.jpg

thank you for the insight, Im very new to pre war and the seller wasn't 100% sure. btw this is how I received bike this week, I am changing lots.

Could be a 50's CWC by the looks of those dropouts and chain adjuster angle. Can we get the serial number?

I agree with the above regarding age, etc. It looks to me like the fork type is correct for the bike, but it is from a girls bike so the steering tube is too long. I would take it to a bike shop and have them thread it further down so it fits and then cut off the excess. I have basically the same bike in original condition.

I agree with the above regarding age, etc. It looks to me like the fork type is correct for the bike, but it is from a girls bike so the steering tube is too long. I would take it to a bike shop and have them thread it further down so it fits and then cut off the excess. I have basically the same bike in original condition.
a shop can thread that? I didnt think any bike shop could handle that, thats a great idea!! There is no serial number under the bottom bracket, nothing on the crank arm either. Where else can I look? You think its a '40's also? this purchase is giving me nitemares!!!

I think it is early 1950's. Mine is a 1953 and is almost identical to yours. Yes, a good bike shop can add threads to your fork. The problem with doing so is that then the upper truss rods will be too long and will need to be cut and threaded also. That part can be a pain in the butt. If you determine you still need cups, etc., I have a nos Wald replacement set that I believe is correct for your frame. Also after measuring a comparable frame here, should you choose to replace the fork, the steering tube should measure 6 1/2 inches from the top of the lower race to the top of the threads.
MVC-891S.JPG

Last edited:
Back