When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late 30's Hiawatha fork

-
I think it is early 1950's. Mine is a 1953 and is almost identical to yours. Yes, a good bike shop can add threads to your fork. The problem with doing so is that then the upper truss rods will be too long and will need to be cut and threaded also. That part can be a pain in the butt. If you determine you still need cups, etc., I have a nos Wald replacement set that I believe is correct for your frame. Also after measuring a comparable frame here, should you choose to replace the fork, the steering tube should measure 6 1/2 inches from the top of the lower race to the top of the threads.
View attachment 1079913
awesome, yes, I might be interested, that looks perfect. I have a fork being sent to me that is 7", but the threads start at 4.5, so I could possibly cut some off the steerer tube and chase the threads clean. I wish I could use the springer style that came with the bike , but all that cutting might not work. This fork is one of the many problems I am facing with this internet buy....lesson learned. I suppose the serial # is buried under all that paint, I cant even see a hint of it. I hate not knowing the year. Rookie mistakes made.

The fork you have purchased should work as that is plenty of threads. I thread a bearing cone on before cutting the tube so when I remove the cone it helps to clean the cut edge. In the catalog reprints the tank with the 3 bars only appears in ads for 1953 and 1954.

The fork you have purchased should work as that is plenty of threads. I thread a bearing cone on before cutting the tube so when I remove the cone it helps to clean the cut edge. In the catalog reprints the tank with the 3 bars only appears in ads for 1953 and 1954.
wow, so even with those rear axle adjusters, its a post war? I could scream

When you cut down a postwar CWC springer fork, the stem won't go all the way in. It'll be sticking out. Look inside the head tube of the fork, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Im still searching for a correct fork, but thank you. I appreciate your input very much.

wow, so even with those rear axle adjusters, its a post war? I could scream

Some people often think that rear axle adjusters and/or skip tooth chain means prewar. But the fact is some manufacturers were using one or both into the early 50's.

Some people often think that rear axle adjusters and/or skip tooth chain means prewar. But the fact is some manufacturers were using one or both into the early 50's.
thank you Gordon, I trusted the sellers word and it looks like I paid too much for a basket case bike, that's quite a difference between 1936 and 1953. The photos showed the bottom bracket was painted, so I couldnt check the serial#. I just ordered a fork and I hope this one fits,( #3) I hate going thru trial and error. I love this hobby, but can be frustrating. The CABE is a wealth of knowledge, thanks again. So if this bike is a '53, who built it? CWC?

It is very possible the seller didn't know what year the bike was - he could have been going on what someone else told him. I have run into people who swear the bike they have is the one they got when they were kids 50 years ago when the bike is obviously only half that old. But it is useless to try and get them to change their minds. And yes, I think we are all in agreement that the bike is CWC made - at least the frame, tank and current fork even though it isn't original to the bike. The chain guard is aftermarket and the rear rack doesn't appear to fit properly so I'm not sure what is up with that.

It is very possible the seller didn't know what year the bike was - he could have been going on what someone else told him. I have run into people who swear the bike they have is the one they got when they were kids 50 years ago when the bike is obviously only half that old. But it is useless to try and get them to change their minds. And yes, I think we are all in agreement that the bike is CWC made - at least the frame, tank and current fork even though it isn't original to the bike. The chain guard is aftermarket and the rear rack doesn't appear to fit properly so I'm not sure what is up with that.
Thats a very valid point Gordon. I believe you are right on the money there. So now, I can research '50's Hiawatha and see what is correct. I love that it is CWC, very happy there.

Back