When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late '41 Schwinn DX "defense model"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IIRC this very bike was discussed here not long ago. My guess is those Murray trussrods and plate were added much later. Most likely that bike that never came equipped with trussrods due to the war effort.(Or the originals were removed along the way)

Here's the serial number. View attachment 1177465

The '42 catalog was a recycled '41 catalog using the same pictures, the text about the models is different however. View attachment 1177469

Schwinn did recycle their catalog pictures/images using them for sometimes up to three different years! And when a model had a few changes they sometimes updated a few of those items but not all the changes. You definitely can't go by the catalog images to know what it was actually built with.

1941 Schwinn truss rods.

Totally a Defense model, I would bet that bike didn’t leave the factory until after the attack on Pearl Harbor. I don’t think the wheels are original, and obviously the guard and truss rods have been added. Some came with chainguards despite what the catalog says, @Kickstand3 has a minty version of this exact model and color.

Cool bike. I’ve always wanted a 42.

What about the serial numbers? The photo shows deep fenders

Note the text next to the Defense model picture describes the narrow 3” fenders, not what was shown.

Back