When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late teens/early 20's Indian

-

ohdeebee

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I bought his bike a week ago, but won't have it in my possession until the end of the month. These bikes are well outside my already limited realm of knowledge so therefore I am consulting with the experts. I've read through the Indian information thread on here a couple of times now, but am still not clear on a lot of the details.

I'd like to know what is right and wrong parts wise on this bike. The only glaring thing I can see are the wheels. Seat looks questionable and the pics I have don't show enough detail on the pedals. The seller provided me after the sale with an original 1916 catalog saying that it came to him with the bike. From what I can tell this bike is not a 1916.

Is there a way to pin down the year more precisely than 1917-1923? Do the serial numbers provide any information or are we still accumulating them in order to find out more information? What years used the flared front fender? What hubs should I be looking for? What pedals should be on the bike? Grips? More than likely this bike will need a repaint as well so I would be interested in color choices as well.

These are all of the photos I have of the bike at the moment, but I'll be happy to provide as many as needed once I have possession of the the bicycle. I'm more than happy to share catalog pics as well, it it's my understanding that this catalog has already been well reproduced and is readily available. Thanks in advance for any information, I look forward to diving into this project and learning as much as I can along the way.

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2393.jpg

Pinning down the years on some othese Indians has been a challenge, to say the least. I am curious to see the serial number even though I have not found any clear sequential information for the Hendee era bikes. The fork, bottom bracket, rear cross brace where the fender is attached ( curved or straight ) and rear drops will provide clues, congratulations!
Todd

Not sure about seat but grips may be original and can't tell on pedals. I would guess year to be about 1918 with split bottom bracket. I think this may be the last year for the split BB as well but not for sure. Red is your only color choice and likely with gold pins on the fenders. Rear hub could have been Morrow, ND Model A, or Atherton? Look forward to seeing serial and more pics. V/r Shawn

Picked up the bike today and added some parts. I know the light isn't correct. Saddle looks a lot better with the correct looking undercarriage. Unfortunately the serial number is illegible. Pedals that came with the bike do not match, are either correct? Front fender brace is also broken in half.

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

Back