When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest Project, Schwinn with a Shimano Front Freewheel (FFS) Crank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
I had two Schwinn's road bikes in project condition. One was a female framed Schwinn with this interesting FFS Free wheel Crank Set and drive train, the other was a male Schwinn with a few more problems. I decided to combine the two non-working bikes into one.

I understand that most cyclists do not consider the Shimano Front Freewheel FFS, Crank System as a desirable component. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_freewheel . Sheldon Brown states on his website states "That Shimano tried to fix a problem that did not exist". In short the FFS crank has a free wheel that allows the cranks chain rings to spin along with the rear wheel, as opposed to a free wheel in the rear cog). This means that the chain is always spinning along with the rear wheel, and it allows you to shift gears without peddling.

I added this crank and drive train to the male frame, and chopped the drop bars off into bull horns. I plan to add triathlon style break levers to the end of the bull horns.

It's just something a little different and even though many cyclists did not think this system was desirable when it came out in the 70's, it should be fun to play around with a different drive-train technology. I think the end result will be a cheap enjoyable 5 speed project that strays outside the norm. It should be a fun bike to ride around town.

IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG

Last edited:
I think the second bike I bought after getting back into bicycles was a 1978 Schwinn Suburban 5 speed with the FF system. It was my first derailleur bike and I liked it, it was easy to ride and shift gears. The only problem I had was when I pumped the new tires up to 90 psi. The tires held, but the rear rolled a little somehow going around a curve and the inner tube popped through the gap between the bead and the rim. It sounded like a rifle going off.

That explosion happened to me last September: got a little careless with the pump before a ride with my wife on a 74 Varsity. When it blew she said "can't you just get a new bike and avoid all these problems?" My response: "No."

;)

I first posted this one last October, I still have not completed it. I will eventually do something fun with it. I was surprised to see the thread brought back up. Once things warm up again I will get in riding condition. It should be fun to play around with that FFS Free Wheel Crank.

Last edited:
Back