When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest Project, Schwinn with a Shimano Front Freewheel (FFS) Crank

-

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
I had two Schwinn's road bikes in project condition. One was a female framed Schwinn with this interesting FFS Free wheel Crank Set and drive train, the other was a male Schwinn with a few more problems. I decided to combine the two non-working bikes into one.

I understand that most cyclists do not consider the Shimano Front Freewheel FFS, Crank System as a desirable component. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_freewheel . Sheldon Brown states on his website states "That Shimano tried to fix a problem that did not exist". In short the FFS crank has a free wheel that allows the cranks chain rings to spin along with the rear wheel, as opposed to a free wheel in the rear cog). This means that the chain is always spinning along with the rear wheel, and it allows you to shift gears without peddling.

I added this crank and drive train to the male frame, and chopped the drop bars off into bull horns. I plan to add triathlon style break levers to the end of the bull horns.

It's just something a little different and even though many cyclists did not think this system was desirable when it came out in the 70's, it should be fun to play around with a different drive-train technology. I think the end result will be a cheap enjoyable 5 speed project that strays outside the norm. It should be a fun bike to ride around town.

IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG

Last edited:
I think the second bike I bought after getting back into bicycles was a 1978 Schwinn Suburban 5 speed with the FF system. It was my first derailleur bike and I liked it, it was easy to ride and shift gears. The only problem I had was when I pumped the new tires up to 90 psi. The tires held, but the rear rolled a little somehow going around a curve and the inner tube popped through the gap between the bead and the rim. It sounded like a rifle going off.

That explosion happened to me last September: got a little careless with the pump before a ride with my wife on a 74 Varsity. When it blew she said "can't you just get a new bike and avoid all these problems?" My response: "No."

;)

I first posted this one last October, I still have not completed it. I will eventually do something fun with it. I was surprised to see the thread brought back up. Once things warm up again I will get in riding condition. It should be fun to play around with that FFS Free Wheel Crank.

Last edited:
Back