When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

laws in cali way back?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Amersterdam is the Drunk Bike Riding Capital of the World
Every year, 15,000 bicycles are dredged from the canals.
Hey - watch this
Hé, kijk dit

amsterdam-dredged-bikes.jpg

Boxes upon boxes of dead, white mice were unearthed in
Monrovia circa 1959. The mice were part of testing and
experimentation development to find ''if'' high handlebars
was a major cause of cancer, in these white mice.

Strange but true, the handlebars did play a role in the devel-
opment of cancer in the white mice, tho' not directly.

Later studies indicate the major contributing factor to can-
cer in the mice was the overconsumption of coffee and cigar-
ettes during the times the mice were at rest from biking .. shar-
ing good times with friends in local pubs, while recouping from
a vigorous ride.

I love riding fender less-bikes, but in the 50's when I was a kid you could not ride a fender-less bike to school. it was the law... I didn't question it, after all, I was just a little kid that was brought up to respect my elders. What they said was it, no questions asked. At the start of the school year of 1960, my folks allowed me to ride my bike to school for the first time, during the first week of the new school year. I was 11 years old and lived about 5 blocks from school. The school had a "safety day" when all bikes had to be inspected. That day, two bikes didn't get the little coveted safety decal. A kid that didn't have fenders on his bike and me. The right front fender brace on my Schwinn was removed by me because it was broken and loose. It did not affect the bike. Part of the front fender brace was missing, big deal...... The principle,the gym teacher and two of their little " brown shirt" patrol boys were the inspectors. That was the Tinkers first experience with " the law"
I was told MY bike was unsafe! [missing part of front fender brace.] UNSAFE BICYCLE. DON"T RIDE IT TO SCHOOL UNTIL FENDER BRACE IS REPLACED! I never rode a bike to school again. I remember that day vividly. They could go shove their stinking safety sticker. I'm sure the patrol boys moved to California in their adult years.
This is me and that bike. It's a poor photo, but it's all that I have.
002.JPG

OOPS! Sorry.... that's a picture of my wife on Her tandem.....sorry., having some trouble here with the photos. Here's the photo of me and my Schwinn: Oh jeezz! Sorry , that's the kid playing with his little car......
011.JPG

Here's the photo I was looking for..... The Tinker on his Schwinn in 1960, before all these "laws to protect us" were passed. Better days, for sure.
004.JPG

Last edited:
In California, you can't get a DUI on a bicycle anymore. Since 2012 (I think) they changed it to a CUI, or cycling under the influence, which carries no more than a $250 fine, no jail time, but is a misdemeanor if convicted, meaning you have a criminal record.

It was after the infamous OP Pro riot in Huntington beach in 1986 they made laws allowing you to get a DUI on a bike, skateboard, skates and scooters, and for drinking in your front yard, among other BS laws to keep the people in line, but so many people fought their tickets and won, (and other political reasons) they dumped that law.

I've been stopped many, many times while riding home from bars and never got a ticket, due to my awesome drunk-biking skills, and by not being a dick to the cops.

When they told me I could get a DUI on a bicycle, I always replied, "well, I might as well just drive then..." and that usually gets a laugh outta them and a "go home."

But I never rode drunk with apehangers (or sober, for that matter.) 'Cause those bars are just silly.

Back