When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LBS wheel building questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just to make sure you are straight--based on the info you supplied above concerning hubs, wheels, and spokes you are good with standard four across pattern. V/r Shawn
Thanks Shawn,
You've put my mind to rest. Thanks so much for your help today,
Martin

Shawn:
I agree completely with your post. However, you used a term that I fight to remove from the English language. There is no such thing as "rocket science." When you are designing, building, and launching rockets, that is not science; it is engineering. Amielle Major of the The Museum of Science, Boston provides these definitions: "Science is the body of knowledge that explores the physical and natural world. Engineering is the application of knowledge in order to design, build and maintain a product or a process that solves a problem and fulfills a need (i.e. a technology)." Wernher von Braun and the other Germans who came to the US after WW2 and started the US space program called themselves aerospace engineers. Note that scientists can do engineering and engineers can do science, but the focus of the activities is different.

Thank you for your attention. I feel better.
Rockets are designed, in large part, by physicist. Physicist are scientist. Also, "rocket science" is in the Merriam Webster dictionary. You might want to call them up and make your case.

Last edited:
I have a Murray possibly from late 70s or 80s? Some stickers removed but excellent condition. I would love help finding out what model etc this is. See pictures. Thanks so much.View attachment 1215124

View attachment 1215124View attachment 1215128

View attachment 1215129

View attachment 1215125

View attachment 1215126

View attachment 1215127
Rockets are designed, in large part, by physicist. Physicist are scientist. Also, "rocket science" is in the Miriam Webster dictionary. You might want to call them up and make your case.
Just because we're getting so nit picky here, it's the "Merriam-Webster" dictionary.

Some things that I learned about lacing wheels:
Save the old spokes - use them to measure for purchasing new ones. Keep the backs separate from the fronts in case they are different lengths
It helps if you count the number of crosses BEFORE unlacing.
Some factory lacings are just over-over-over; no under. Makes lacing a lot faster.
The Schwinn wheels I've done are opposite left and right of the stem hole as is shown in the referenced video.
It really helps if you have another like wheel to use as a reference.
It takes practice to get the valve stem hole between two parallel spokes. This is where having a like wheel comes in handy.
Be ready to unlace and restart
Don't get frustrated. It's not rocket science, or something best left for for a physicist, or a brain surgeon.

Last edited:
Some things that I learned about lacing wheels:
Save the old spokes - use them to measure for purchasing new ones. Keep the backs separate from the fronts in case they are different lengths
It helps if you count the number of crosses BEFORE unlacing.
Some factory lacings are just over-over-over; no under. Makes lacing a lot faster.
The Schwinn wheels I've done are opposite left and right of the stem hole as is shown in the referenced video.
It really helps if you have another like wheel to use as a reference.
It takes practice to get the valve stem hole between two parallel spokes. This is where having a like wheel comes in handy.
Be ready to unpack and restart
Don't get frustrated. It's not rocket science, or something best left for for a physicist, or a brain surgeon.
You are a true rocket scientist of words my friend.

Rockets are designed, in large part, by physicist. Physicist are scientist. Also, "rocket science" is in the Merriam Webster dictionary. You might want to call them up and make your case.
Going to have to agree here 100%, my oldest brother, a now retired Astro-physicist, worked for NASA for 20- years, designing rockets. He is a scientist, and designed rockets for a living, successfully. I would never even broach the subject of telling him there is no such thing as rocket science although I would be willing to ask him if there is. His job before that was 28 years in the Marine Corps. Started out looking through a sniper scope, finished up looking through large telescopes.

Going to have to agree here 100%, my oldest brother, a now retired Astro-physicist, worked for NASA for 20- years, designing rockets. He is a scientist, and designed rockets for a living, successfully. I would never even broach the subject of telling him there is no such thing as rocket science although I would be willing to ask him if there is. His job before that was 28 years in the Marine Corps. Started out looking through a sniper scope, finished up looking through large telescopes.
Imagine the stuff he has seen! I would be interested on his take. Either way "rocket scientist" is just a euphemism. Tangentially, I have a few casting patterns from the Atlas rocket program. And I worked in aerospace for about 15 years. There is some cool stuff out there. Thanks for sharing.

Back