When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Le Tour (1980?)

-
-----

as i wrote, worked only from the first set of pictures, which i took to be the "as found" ones...

-----

Yes and thanks, hence my edit: I'm still dying to know how to tell the difference. If they were indiscriminately shipping frames to and fro? ;)

-----

@Metacortex is likely to have this information although he visits only occasionally...

date confirmation -

many of the fittings shown in the first set of pictures carry date markings:

portion of handlbar stem down inside steerer

right end of handlbebar beneath wrap

back side of crank arms

possibly portion of saddle pillar inside seat tube

barrels of Maillard hubs

Schwinn Approved Huret components:

Huret/Sachs Huret began date marking their products in 1978 with a four digit number

the first two digits indicate the week of the year and the second two the year

-----

-----

Hello Wingslover,

working from your as found images the cycle is sending mixed messages as to origin

it exhibits fittings from both europe and asia so that if all are taken to be original it must be an example which was assembled (not manufactured) in the U.S.

note the Schwinn Approved Huret front mech paired with a Shimano rear one

Schwinn Approved Huret shift lever set

Suspect wheel hubs on as found bicycle to be of French origin since the quick release skewers are a Maillard model which launched in 1973

GT58 mentioned Greenville facility. perhaps i am in error but as recalled the Greenville facility did not open until 1986 and everyone seems satisfied that bicycle is earlier...

so, as suggested earlier, this may be a Chicago assembled bicycle

-----
Greenville was definitely producing the lugged 4130 frames in 1984 and possibly 1983. I bought my 1984 Le Tour Luxe from a shop in Eau Claire, WI in summer 1984 and remember the shopkeeper telling me they were built down south at that time. Mine has a prominent Made in America decal.1486373

Back