When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Legends of Tam" Vintage Bicycle Ride - July 30 2017

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Please stick around for the weekend and come up after the Rolling Relics SF Ride on Saturday to scenic Marin County on Sunday July 30 for a fun day of vintage bicycle appreciation. The plan is to meet up starting around 10am or so in old town Corte Madera, just 10-15 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge off the 101. There should be plenty of parking on a Sunday morning right around the start spot, but there are lots more spots around the big park just down the road on Tamalpais Drive. You'll pass that park on your right between the 101 and old town Corte Madera.

Start spot: https://goo.gl/maps/2aCGEZzAqcq

Roll out at 10:30. We will spend the next hour and a half or so exploring and stopping for photos (redwoods, bronze Yoda statues, what have you) on our way to Fairfax. There are plenty of side routes along the main bike route with numerous little towns to grab coffee, snacks, etc along the way. Tons of bike shops too if we need one. I'll do my best to guide folks around and make sure everyone has a fun ride and sees cool stuff.

Fairfax, our destination, is the home of local legend and fellow Caber Rudy Contratti. Rudy has lined up a fantastic FREE afternoon for us all at The Marin Museum of Bicycling:

https://mmbhof.org/

Where we will enjoy a FREE BBQ and some beverages both healthy and fermented courtesy of one of the most generous people I have ever met, after which we will get a FREE guided tour of the museum given by at least one and likely more of the original mountain bike pioneers. See, hear and discuss first hand how these guys took now collectable vintage bikes and cobbled them into klunkers and helped invent a world-wide sport that arguably saved the bicycle industry from years of stagnation and non-innovation. Lots of other good stuff in the museum as well, from TOC and high wheelers to a complete evolution of the modern mountain bike.

Did I mention all this food and fun is free yet?

But wait, that's not all. As a final send off, we will check out a few local sights around town and then head over to Rudy's house which is a museum of Americana in and of itself. Every time I go over there I see something amazing I missed the last time. You won't be disappointed I promise.

After that, everyone is on their own to hang around town or roll out. It's probably really only 30-40 minutes to ride back to Corte Madera from Fairfax straight through on an old bike for those of you wondering about timing. Rudy and I will be looking for a rough head count as we get closer, but wanted to get this out there so folks could decide if they want to come and make their arrangements.

Also - Any Cabers not making the SF Ride for whatever reason are of course free to join as well. So come on out all of you North Bay Cabe lurkers and lets go for a ride.
How can I pass this up? Will someone chime in to the amount of hills to deal with? I'm trying to figure if I should bring my miss zeus!

Mike,
According to the web Corte Madera has an elevation of 39' while Fairfax is a lofty 115' above the bay. Some settling of contents may have occurred in transit.
Google maps says the ride is 6.8 miles by bike with a elevation change up of 164' and down grade of 56'. I think I could handle that on my Pierce, I can always walk the downhills to reduce my scorching speed.;)

Gary

Please stick around for the weekend and come up after the Rolling Relics SF Ride on Saturday to scenic Marin County on Sunday July 30 for a fun day of vintage bicycle appreciation. The plan is to meet up starting around 10am or so in old town Corte Madera, just 10-15 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge off the 101. There should be plenty of parking on a Sunday morning right around the start spot, but there are lots more spots around the big park just down the road on Tamalpais Drive. You'll pass that park on your right between the 101 and old town Corte Madera.

Start spot: https://goo.gl/maps/2aCGEZzAqcq

Roll out at 10:30. We will spend the next hour and a half or so exploring and stopping for photos (redwoods, bronze Yoda statues, what have you) on our way to Fairfax. There are plenty of side routes along the main bike route with numerous little towns to grab coffee, snacks, etc along the way. Tons of bike shops too if we need one. I'll do my best to guide folks around and make sure everyone has a fun ride and sees cool stuff.

Fairfax, our destination, is the home of local legend and fellow Caber Rudy Contratti. Rudy has lined up a fantastic FREE afternoon for us all at The Marin Museum of Bicycling:

https://mmbhof.org/

Where we will enjoy a FREE BBQ and some beverages both healthy and fermented courtesy of one of the most generous people I have ever met, after which we will get a FREE guided tour of the museum given by at least one and likely more of the original mountain bike pioneers. See, hear and discuss first hand how these guys took now collectable vintage bikes and cobbled them into klunkers and helped invent a world-wide sport that arguably saved the bicycle industry from years of stagnation and non-innovation. Lots of other good stuff in the museum as well, from TOC and high wheelers to a complete evolution of the modern mountain bike.

Did I mention all this food and fun is free yet?

But wait, that's not all. As a final send off, we will check out a few local sights around town and then head over to Rudy's house which is a museum of Americana in and of itself. Every time I go over there I see something amazing I missed the last time. You won't be disappointed I promise.

After that, everyone is on their own to hang around town or roll out. It's probably really only 30-40 minutes to ride back to Corte Madera from Fairfax straight through on an old bike for those of you wondering about timing. Rudy and I will be looking for a rough head count as we get closer, but wanted to get this out there so folks could decide if they want to come and make their arrangements.

Also - Any Cabers not making the SF Ride for whatever reason are of course free to join as well. So come on out all of you North Bay Cabe lurkers and lets go for a ride.

I made arrangements to Not Miss this.
Thanks for putting this together.
Sorry for the late notice.
See you next weekend.

Hey everyone, thanks for the turnout!

Looking for a headcount for Rudy. If you have PM'd me that you are coming I've got you counted and if you have replied above then no need to do so again. But if you are planning on hanging out for food and museum fun but haven't spoken up then please let me know either here or via PM so Rudy can plan accordingly.

Thanks again

Cabers,perhaps I can chime in.As Eric mentioned above,this is something ya gotta check.The wife is taking the dogs over the hill that day and gave me the OK to open up our house,which is LOADED with all kinds of Americania from the 30s to the late 70s.Toys Dolls Rock and Roll,Pedal Cars,tons of Oil related stuff,Any girls coming cause you will see the most extensive collection of vintage clothing you have ever laid you eyes onand that just a few things for viewing,and of cource bikes.Have you ever seen a ski fence or a 14foot Blue Marlin on the front of a house, a beautiful garden My 53 gmc pic up or my 56chevy wagon.Be sure to bring a camara.cause the lens may crack when ya all see this stuff,maybe some of the cabers that stopped by a few years back can chime in on what they saw.The lunch and admission to the Mountain Bike museum is free,and I will give us a short ride around town cause we have tons of history around these parts,So let make a day of this and we will have you on your way to the North South East or West,with some great memories!!!
YOURS TRUELY ,,,RUDY AND ERIC
Eric, Rudy,
Please put me down. I am really looking forward to this. Thanks! -Ted

I wish this was on another weekend I'd really like to go but the amount of people willing to watch four kids for two days is small. :) Maybe next year???

Back