When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lenape Cycle Works restoration project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So today was the day to try and weld the broken handle bar stem. I chose to use a MIG because that is what I have. I beveled the edges with a file and lined everything up. I used the cone nut to hold the bottom where I wanted it and placed a couple of tack welds. On the one broken piece I did weld the inside as well. Once the second piece was in place I followed the same process. I did use a propane torch tonpre heat all of the pieces to help with making the weld less brittle along the HAZ. I cleaned the welds up with a sanding disk and test fit everything back together. I did tighten things down about 80% and it held. I will be excited to get the rest of the fame finished and reassemble to see if my welding will hold up. Thanks for the suggestions and the likes on this thread. I also wanted to note that the end goal with this bike will mostly be for display and maybe an occasional parade ride. If the weld fails during final assemble, I will likely use the suggestion of cutting it off above and making a new lower section.

20220107_111259.jpg

20220107_141851.jpg

20220107_144252.jpg

Been working on the bike on and off for a month or so. I finished stripping, de-scaling rust, and then sanding and polishing the Fauber hangers and chain ring. I looked into getting the whole thing re-plated, but with all of the pits in the metal, I elected to just polish what was left of the original nickel plating and call it good enough.

Frame is out getting media blasted. Once it is clean will be making a decision to powder coat or to take to an automotive paint shop. Found a power finish that matches the original red pretty close. Can't beat the price if powder works out. $125 for blast and finish. Will post pics of bare metal and once decision is made.

Traded the rear hub that came on the bike that was around 1910 to 1915 for a set of wood, perior correct, wheels and hubs. Will post pics once I get those. Before and after cleaning.

20220218_150442.jpg

20220101_215343.jpg

20220221_221510.jpg

20220221_221524.jpg

Question about the chain that came on this bike...

I'm pretty sure its a Diamond brand, but it looks like it has "19" stamped in the diamond. Take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

20220224_111305.jpg

20220224_111301.jpg

It's Diamond #61 "old bicycle chain", sadly not currently in production. I used to find some old stock at distributors in the 1990's, and it was listed on their website maybe 10 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Has anyone been able to determine the year based on the stamping? I don't seem to be able to find many examples that have thw 61 in the dimond.

Question about the chain that came on this bike...

I'm pretty sure its a Diamond brand, but it looks like it has "19" stamped in the diamond. Take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

View attachment 1576637

View attachment 1576638
Tommy,

If you are trying for historical accuracy you may consider getting a proper block chain; that is what the Lenape would have started life with. The “61” is a standard skip tooth chain Diamond offered. It was a commonly used chain found in the late teens and twenties but I an not sure of the actual date they introduced it to their lineup.

Thanks for the info. I am trying to within reason make it look as new when sold originally and on a budget. I will start looking for a block chain.

Back