When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lenape Cycle Works restoration project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was able to get the headset disassemble and found that the stem for the handle bars was snapped off and stuck inside the fork upper tube. Has anyone been successful welding this type of damage? Would love to use the original parts. While removing some of the paint, I also revealed the "knurling" that is circles, not sure i have seen this design on a bearing cap yet. Anyone else seen this design defore?

View attachment 1541366

View attachment 1541367

View attachment 1541368

Crescent does use a similar type of bearing cups. close but not identical
here is a close-up on one of my Crescent

crescent cups.jpg

Last edited:
I have had luck tig welding stems back together with that damage but the heat affect area becomes brittle so It needs to be done slowly, with cooling time between small passes. I would be curious to see what is under the paint on that stem. I have found that the old stems are very soft metal and I wonder if that one was heated to bend it that way. If it was bent or is original it really is still a very a unique stem!

I have had luck tig welding stems back together with that damage but the heat affect area becomes brittle so It needs to be done slowly, with cooling time between small passes. I would be curious to see what is under the paint on that stem. I have found that the old stems are very soft metal and I wonder if that one was heated to bend it that way. If it was bent or is original it really is still a very a unique stem!
I know someone who does heat treatment of metals. I think I'll have him take a look at it and see if his company can weld it. Thanks for giving me hope for a repair. There was a previous reply that was helpful as well.

Here are some Lenape and Fauber references:

May 7, 1896 - Trenton Evening Times (Trenton NJ)
View attachment 1541479

February 24, 1898 - The Central News (Perkasie PA)
View attachment 1541480

May 23, 1898 - Yonkers Statesman (Yonkers NY)
View attachment 1541481

April 24, 1899 - The News (Paterson NJ)
View attachment 1541482

April 29, 1899 - The Wall Street Journal (New York NY)
View attachment 1541483

May 7, 1899 - The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (Brooklyn NY)
View attachment 1541484

December 20, 1899 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
View attachment 1541485

March 9, 1900 - The Allentown Leader (Allentown PA)
View attachment 1541486

January 19, 1899 - The Wheel:
View attachment 1541487

January 25, 1900 - The Wheel:
View attachment 1541488
Thanks for all the info! Are you a Lenape bike fan?

i was also wondering if the stem was bent that way later in life.
But, IMO, it would be extremely difficult to bend a stem like that even with a lot of heat. Especially with an almost perfect bend.
But I guess anything is possible in the right circumstances and the right tools. I couldn't myself achieve that result.
I also wouldn't be able to reweld those stem pieces back together and guarantee that they would hold. But I am not a professionnal welder, I get by with simple repairs, but not technical ones. A pro could probably get it done.

Just as a side note- most people pronounce the word Lenape as "Len- A- Pee" with the accent on the first syllable. Actually the correct pronunciation is Len-Op-Pee with the accent on the second syllable.

i was also wondering if the stem was bent that way later in life.
But, IMO, it would be extremely difficult to bend a stem like that even with a lot of heat. Especially with an almost perfect bend.
But I guess anything is possible in the right circumstances and the right tools. I couldn't myself achieve that result.
I also wouldn't be able to reweld those stem pieces back together and guarantee that they would hold. But I am not a professionnal welder, I get by with simple repairs, but not technical ones. A pro could probably get it done.
I got the paint stripped off and it look like the piece may be a casting. All tubea are hollow. There are pits in the steel that looks like they used lead to fill and level prior to painting. I will be warming it up with a torch to see if the silver is paint or lead....

I think the bend is as it was when manufactured. I can't see any evidence of heating and bending and no tool marks. There is also no id for manufacture. I fid find one on ebay that is similar, but much shorter.

Here is a pic of it stripped of paint.

16415673668978469176751376116446.jpg

16415673900211755064339779912148.jpg

Back