When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leon Dixon Top 25 Collectible Bikes...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be on the list....Rare AND beautiful......

I have one of his books, Leon was involved in the car design industry and he wrote a book on the history of a Detroit concept car fabrication shop. The book is called Creative Industries of Detroit from Car Tech press.
I have that book too. It's great!!

It says rare bikes?

Back when that list was developed, Krates were not really too popular or considered "Classics". Muscle cars were just starting to be appreciated. Look at the car shows/auctions, antique shows, and how they have evolved. Look at the fields of the famed Hershey car show/flea market with acres of cars/parts back in the 70's compared to now. Most hobbies or trends evolve, change, die on the vine etc.

Who collects stamps here? How about Royal Dalton figures? Ask a Hot Wheel collector? Top dollar on Model A and T Fords now compared to a muscle car? Some things come back in style. Today, many young people are more focused on their cell phones and credit cards, selfies and sushi bars as opposed to the quality hand made things of the past. On line shopping, the internet....etc. Ch..Ch..Ch..Ch...Changes as the "late great" David Bowie would sing!! Do I like the changes I see?.....not really, but I'm an old fart.

I agree, what's a Huffy Radio bike doing on that list?

I tend to agree, BUT if someone had told me back in the day ( 1970/s-early 80's/I was 18 in 1975 just outa high school, moved out, bought my 1st car, a 1958 Pontiac for $400.00 I kept/drove and owned for 29 years!) ) I'd own a Huffy Radiobike and a Schwinn Lemon Peeler in 2018/19, I'd have laughed my butt off!! I started collecting bicycles in about 1982. I now have bicycles from 1934-1969. Funny how that number ( 69-34 = difference in years/ 35 years) pretty much adds up to my longevity and participation in the vintage bike interest/hobby!

I tend to agree, BUT if someone had told me back in the day ( 1970/s-early 80's/I was 18 in 1975 just outa high school, moved out, bought my 1st car, a 1958 Pontiac for $400.00 I kept/drove and owned for 29 years!) ) I'd own a Huffy Radiobike and a Schwinn Lemon Peeler in 2018/19, I'd have laughed my butt off!! I started collecting bicycles in about 1982. I now have bicycles from 1934-1969. Funny how that number ( 69-34 = difference in years/ 35 years) pretty much adds up to my longevity and participation in the vintage bike interest/hobby!
That's cool! I caught the bug a couple years before I got out of high school, I graduated in 1983. Two years later I went to Alaska and worked as an engineer on a ship for three years. While I was gone my mother hauled all my bikes to the dump. It was about 30 bikes. Know real cool ones but man it was a bummer. She told me I shouldn't have left them there so long. She was also famous for selling my stuff a yard sales. Ha Ha Ha

That's cool! I caught the bug a couple years before I got out of high school, I graduated in 1983. Two years later I went to Alaska and worked as an engineer on a ship for three years. While I was gone my mother hauled all my bikes to the dump. It was about 30 bikes. Know real cool ones but man it was a bummer. She told me I shouldn't have left them there so long. She was also famous for selling my stuff a yard sales. Ha Ha Ha

Yeah, bummer about your bikes being turfed. You have a neat history! Alaska.....right on...

I made reference to parents "ditching cool items" with a friend ( Leon Dixon actually last week....his comic collection) when we were "out". My Brother in laws having their Austin J40 pedal car vanish when my "late" Mother in law saw fit......

When I think back now, the thought of getting a " Huffy Radiobike" or Schwinn "Lemon Peeler" back in '75 would have blown me away! GREAT!! I was just seriously digging vintage cars/bought my '58 Poncho ( I had just helped a pals older brother buy a 1959 Caddy, which I had no taste for in the early 70's then WOW!!) and getting into antiques of all kinds. I grew up with muscle bikes, but have always notched back to the earlier ones at 1st anyway. Enjoy! Here is my Austin J40 I had to sell/restored/owned 20 years ( locally sold, thankfully to a friend so I can still visit..lol..) about 15 years ago. Great cars. Full thick metal, 5 feet long, same as the full size cars in many ways. Cheers! Bob

j40 and pedal boat.JPG

seat.JPG

MOTOR.JPG

rt side.JPG

left side.JPG

p1010024.JPG

Yeah, bummer about your bikes being turfed. You have a neat history! Alaska.....right on...

I made reference to parents "ditching cool items" with a friend ( Leon Dixon actually last week....his comic collection) when we were "out". My Brother in laws having their Austin J40 pedal car vanish when my "late" Mother in law saw fit......

When I think back now, the thought of getting a " Huffy Radiobike" or Schwinn "Lemon Peeler" back in '75 would have blown me away! GREAT!! I was just seriously digging vintage cars/bought my '58 Poncho ( I had just helped a pals older brother buy a 1959 Caddy, which I had no taste for in the early 70's then WOW!!) and getting into antiques of all kinds. I grew up with muscle bikes, but have always notched back to the earlier ones at 1st anyway. Enjoy! Here is my Austin J40 I had to sell/restored/owned 20 years ( locally sold, thankfully to a friend so I can still visit..lol..) about 15 years ago. Great cars. Full thick metal, 5 feet long, same as the full size cars in many ways. Cheers! Bob

View attachment 1106294

View attachment 1106298

View attachment 1106299

View attachment 1106300

View attachment 1106301

View attachment 1106302
Wow! I love it! BEAUTIFUL CAR! It looks like it's really well built. I like the way they did the engine. What a Christmas present that would be. Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back