When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Thanks Ron! This is my second post, but I’ve been lurking and admiring everyone else’s bikes for a few months. Definitely an interesting badge date. From what I’ve determined this would make it a Tuesday December 30th build due to 1980 being a leap year. Still very interesting considering the strike in late 1980.

Looks like your bike just messed up the written history about the Schwinn strike! I love it when the real facts pop up out of nowhere! Your bike should be in a museum!! 🤣 I wonder how many striking workers were still plugging away in the factory and how many units were actually built during the strike.

Got pics of the crank, bars, fork, hubs and everything else that has a date on it?

I'm sure the strike had an effect on this but wasn't the factory usually shut down for 2-3 weeks during the Christmas and 4th of July holidays?

I'm sure the strike had an effect on this but wasn't the factory usually shut down for 2-3 weeks during the Christmas and 4th of July holidays?

Under normal circumstances yes. From what I've gathered, two weeks for Christmas Holiday and New Years and two weeks in the Summer. This new factor in the equation is very interesting! The frame could have been built and painted when the negotiations started and then hung up to dry until the workers were on Christmas Vacation. Wait, that doesn't make any sense. 😜

I have not been looking for this style of bike, but they just keep crossing my path. I picked up this 1980 cruiser last night. I now have this 80 cruiser, a 1980 deluxe cruiser, and a nice 79 spitfire. This one was a situation where the classified ad had horrible pictures, but I went and looked at it anyways. The decals are really weak, but the paint is quite nice. The chainguard has a bit of a dent but I can get that to be a lot better. I’m not a bmx guy but I knew the mcs stem was legit. From a quick internet check it looks like it is from the same era and is worth more than the entire bike, score! The bike actually rides quite nice and just needs a bit of adjustment. Over all a really nice bike.

I have not been looking for this style of bike, but they just keep crossing my path. I picked up this 1980 cruiser last night. I now have this 80 cruiser, a 1980 deluxe cruiser, and a nice 79 spitfire. This one was a situation where the classified ad had horrible pictures, but I went and looked at it anyways. The decals are really weak, but the paint is quite nice. The chainguard has a bit of a dent but I can get that to be a lot better. I’m not a bmx guy but I knew the mcs stem was legit. From a quick internet check it looks like it is from the same era and is worth more than the entire bike, score! The bike actually rides quite nice and just needs a bit of adjustment. Over all a really nice bike.
View attachment 1655299

View attachment 1655300

View attachment 1655301

View attachment 1655302

View attachment 1655303

View attachment 1655304

View attachment 1655305

View attachment 1655306

View attachment 1655307

View attachment 1655309
Dang....MCS stem is a win for you man. Ide sell it and buy something cool and put something else on the bike! Lol

I went over to the "Dark Side" with the purchase of this 27.5 PK Ripper. 40 years ago, I had built a 24" SE bike very similar to this when I was working at the shop and racing BMX at a local track in Gardena, California. This is a sweet riding bike!

Last edited:
Back