When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Q

Is that a padded slipcover over the original seat? Sure looks like one in the pic. Should have the same Mesinger that's on all the 81 Cruisers
It sure looked like a mattress top! I looked under it last night to find it's a completely different frame and matched molded foam and factory top. The embossed "MESSENGER" is what surprised me.

Glad it's not original to this bike... Owner had said that's how it came besides the tires. Later she said they must have added it at the shop for her mother because she said she "NEEDed something stout." Springs are also currently circumvented by the rear reflector bracket, not sure if that was intentional.

Brain is telling me I've seen it on a Murray Monterey or a Huffy or something before....with like a billboard sign across the back. Lol
Here is another one on eBay.

This is why I hate when people advertise Everything as Schwinn, I end up second guessing myself.

Here's to all the Big Berthas out there that need a little extra support.

I Really hate the looks of these seats...........and I'd rob the hardware and throw them out, but I'm sure that shortly thereafter I'll hear some lady say, "I really love this bike and I want to buy it, but the seat is way too small!"

I didn't feel like digging in to a full teardown today, mostly because of having to leave it hanging, but she got tires and a seat today.
Much Mo' Betta!!

View attachment 1703250
View attachment 1703251
I Really hate the looks of these seats...........and I'd rob the hardware and throw them out, but I'm sure that shortly thereafter I'll hear some lady say, "I really love this bike and I want to buy it, but the seat is way too small!"

I didn't feel like digging in to a full teardown today, mostly because of having to leave it hanging, but she got tires and a seat today.
Much Mo' Betta!!
View attachment 1703249
Exactly Man ! Save the big seats chicks dig em !!

View attachment 1703250
View attachment 1703251

Much Mo' Betta!!
View attachment 1703249
Yes I had one of those tall seats on my KSHD that spent it's life in a factory or warehouse, I figure the foreman had a boney a$$. That Chestnut is a great color, great cruiser.

View attachment 1703250
View attachment 1703251

Much Mo' Betta!!
View attachment 1703249
Very Nice Ladies Schwinn Cruiser ... The Padded Mesinger Seat you posted, is in the 1980 Schwinn parts & accessories catalog listed as Moped Saddle.
Schwinn Part No. 58 627* Moped Seat, Black, Complete with 5/8" & 7/8" clamp.
The * on bottom of page states ...*Not Schwinn or Schwinn Approved.
Schwinn had a part no. for that seat so, they Sold them and was probably for those that needed more Kush for the Tush.
The Persons Seat w / chrome springs you installed is a Premium Schwinn Approved upgrade.
Enjoy the RiDe !

Last edited:
Very Nice Ladies Schwinn Cruiser ... The Padded Mesinger Seat you posted, is in the 1980 Schwinn parts & accessories catalog listed as Moped Saddle.
Schwinn Part No. 58 627* Moped Seat, Black, Complete with 5/8" & 7/8" clamp.
The * on bottom of page states ...*Not Schwinn or Schwinn Approved.
Schwinn had a part no. for that seat so, they Sold them and was probably for those that needed more Kush for the Tush.
The Persons Seat w / chrome springs you installed is a Premium Schwinn Approved upgrade.
Enjoy the RiDe !
"Moped" doesn't make it any more enticing, but nice to know! I just didn't look back a year in the catalogs.

The seat I put on it is Mesinger too. Odd that they wouldn't stamp Schwinn Approved on a product by the same manufacturer.

View attachment 1703250
View attachment 1703251

Much Mo' Betta!!
View attachment 1703249
I need those seats for my wife don’t throw them out 😂🤣😆

Back