When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
I would like to see some too I was told that this one came exactly like it is from Schwinn now I don’t know if the dealer could have installed the springer ??

Never seen any evidence they made a girls Deluxe so maybe dealer added springer or?, anybody got any literature on this?

Schwinn never produced a Deluxe Cruiser with a girls frame from the factory. The spring fork was either added on by the dealer, or the bike owner after they purchased it. The girls frame Cruisers ONLY came in single speed, coaster brake models.

Schwinn started offering accessory spring forks in 1980 that were sold as an upgrade for anyone who wanted one. But they were not very popular, since everyone wanted Chrome Tange Tube Forks for their bikes back then.

Schwinn made factory girls 5 spds 79, 80 & 81 with the 79 Spitfire 5 girls being the rarest of them.

They sure did! It's shown right here in the 1980 catalog picture cruising on the beach. :p .... ;)

1584832049598.png

Schwinn made factory girls 5 spds 79, 80 & 81 with the 79 Spitfire 5 girls being the rarest of them.

They did not make 5 speed cruisers with the girls style frames! If you have any documentation to prove otherwise, I would love to see it.....!

Last edited:
I don't have any documentation, but picked up this one last year at Memory Lane swap. Also picked up a boys blue single speed to do a change over, maybe I shouldn't. Sure appears to be born this way other than the maybe dealer added fenders still sporting the studded balloon tires. Joe

I'll have to look at the badge to see when this one was built.

I don't have any documentation, but picked up this one last year at Memory Lane swap. Also picked up a boys blue single speed to do a change over, maybe I shouldn't. Sure appears to be born this way other than the maybe dealer added fenders still sporting the studded balloon tires. Joe
I'll have to look at the badge to see when this one was built.

The bike you have was most likely built at a dealer when a couple came into the shop and wanted a matching pair of bikes. It is pretty easy to swap out a rear wheel, then install the gear cable, a front brake, and a chain guard. And yes, I would be curious to see the serial number and the head badge code from the bike, even though that will not be any indicator the bike came from the factory that way!

Last edited:
Back