When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So the rusty cruiser in my backyard may be an 84 Schmurray or an 84 or 85 Taiwan made bike? There is a serial number on the bottom of the crank housing - L84U9U3271. Will that help at all to narrow down its origins? I would like to know where it was made so if I can supply any additional detail photos, etc to help identify, let me know. Thanks much.

Last edited:
Your bike was made on the 270th day of 84. Did it make it out as the last of the 84s or was it sold as an 85 is hard to tell.

My early 84 Schmurry with badge number 0184.

I am thinking Taiwan now as the front reflector is a small one, unlike hm.’s and It does not have the S2 style rear rim (this frame only had a rear when I got it). It’s chrome, but not an S2 with the knurls.

I am thinking Taiwan now as the front reflector is a small one, unlike hm.’s and It does not have the S2 style rear rim (this frame only had a rear when I got it). It’s chrome, but not an S2 with the knurls.
If you look at @Rivnut's bike where the frame tubes join the headstock, there's a large radius which Schwinn always had on their "electroforged" frames. I think Marc Muller ("Inside the Varsity" on the Sheldon Brown website) said this was in imitation of fillet-brazed frames, which the electroforged frames replaced. On the Schmurrays this was still done on the headtube joints, but on yours they're just butted together and welded, which is what Giant did.

It does have the chain guard mount welded to the seat stay. I really appreciate all who have helped me in the ID process here. I now know it is an 84 mfg frame, likely to have been assembled in late 84 in Taiwan. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

488A455D-ED57-4433-93E1-B513190C6FBA.jpeg

Last edited:
For anyone in Calif who may be interested?

It's missing a few of the original parts, but it should clean up ok for a rider.

Link below the pic...

Back