Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

This ad disappears when logged in

mrg

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 9, 2010
socal
Vintage photos! Me on a new 79 Spitfire I bought for my girlfriends birthday and bent the blade fork the first day!, went back to Russell's Schwinn and got a Cardinal red tube fork but she still wasen't happy about her new bike. check my nephew laying on the ground. Then I bought the Torker and didn't bend any more forks.
D3983BC1-4329-4BE3-88D9-C624E294A8D5.jpeg

B955EF8E-B0C1-4DFF-9141-282329F70A56.jpeg
22B513A6-D643-49C4-B7C3-4EDCAE7A81F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
I’m new to vintage schwinn bikes......what are the specs and brand on those tires you are using???

Those tires on bike in question are Marked 'Schwinn Stingray' and are; 20" x 2.125, S-2, White Wall knobbies Yet, IDK for sure b/c the larger 26" Cruisers were fitted with Schwinn Knobble Balloons, but were the 20" Cruisers fitted with stingray tires? I've never seen or noticed those stingray tires like that. Cant even find stingray by Schwinn tires on net like em too. Duro's and goodyear yes, but not Schwinn's. >>>> Interesting.

Last edited:

Cjperry81

On Training Wheels
Sep 4, 2018
Ohio
Those tires on bike in question are Marked 'Schwinn Stingray' and are; 20" x 2.125, S-2, White Wall knobbies Yet, IDK for sure b/c the larger 26" Cruisers were fitted with Schwinn Knobble Balloons, but were the 20" Cruisers fitted with stingray tires? I've never seen or noticed those stingray tires like that. Cant even find stingray by Schwinn tires on net like em too. Duro's and goodyear yes, but not Schwinn's. >>>> Interesting.
Do you have any recommendations for a knobby white wall 26 x 2.125?

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Do you have any recommendations for a knobby white wall 26 x 2.125?
I just use the cheapo brand Kendra from a guy at local flea market $15 each. depending what you'll do, mine, after 3 years, haven't begun rotting yet. white walls are all good too. Oddly Wally world, local to me, only gets a few around xmas. otherwise e-bay's got plenty and different brands. Most any bike store should especially Schwinn and trek. Original Schwinn knobby balloons can be tough to find @ $50+ ea-100-200 a pair. (EDIT, Schwinn Studded Balloon, I meant vs. knobbie balloons))

Last edited:

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Last edited:

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 23, 2013
Herndon, CA, United States
I'm not too sure that the Murray or China made Cruisers are allowed in this thread but, it's in awfully nice condition for a an 30+ year old, 'New improved ' (built even cheaper then ever') Murray or China: Schwinn bike.
Oops. I checked the first post and saw the unicrown fork vs blade forks and thought it was ok. My mistake.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Oops. I checked the first post and saw the unicrown fork vs blade forks and thought it was ok. My mistake.

No worries as they come up here too. I'm yusst setting the record straight. [edited] Wait no, it's not 90 as I'd said; now I'm not paying attention, your posted bike is around 1986-7

1986: (don't know why it wont upload the 86 Schwinn cruiser catalog photo but here's the link: http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986_crsr_03.jpg)

Oh and now it appears? shesh! 1986, either the end of Murray's or the beginning of Giant's import for Schwinn. Yet I'd say for the graphics on the bike ya posted, it's china and very close to 87-89
1986_crsr_03.jpg

1990 below

1990_mtb_road_cat_34-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Oilit

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
I agree it's Chinese or Taiwanese. The straight leg forks first appeared on the late Chicago bikes, but on those the axle plates are welded to the front of the tubes only. The axle plates on the Chinese forks are shaped differently, extending behind the leg to provide a mounting point for fender braces. On my Murray built Cruiser 5, somebody drilled and tapped the fork legs to attach the stays for an aftermarket front fender, so the Chinese design was probably an improvement. I think Schwinn originally used these forks on BMX bikes and later adapted them to the Cruisers.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture