When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Oops. I checked the first post and saw the unicrown fork vs blade forks and thought it was ok. My mistake.

No worries as they come up here too. I'm yusst setting the record straight. [edited] Wait no, it's not 90 as I'd said; now I'm not paying attention, your posted bike is around 1986-7

1986: (don't know why it wont upload the 86 Schwinn cruiser catalog photo but here's the link: http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1986_crsr_03.jpg)

Oh and now it appears? shesh! 1986, either the end of Murray's or the beginning of Giant's import for Schwinn. Yet I'd say for the graphics on the bike ya posted, it's china and very close to 87-89
1986_crsr_03.jpg

1990 below

1990_mtb_road_cat_34-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
I agree it's Chinese or Taiwanese. The straight leg forks first appeared on the late Chicago bikes, but on those the axle plates are welded to the front of the tubes only. The axle plates on the Chinese forks are shaped differently, extending behind the leg to provide a mounting point for fender braces. On my Murray built Cruiser 5, somebody drilled and tapped the fork legs to attach the stays for an aftermarket front fender, so the Chinese design was probably an improvement. I think Schwinn originally used these forks on BMX bikes and later adapted them to the Cruisers.

Back