When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
What shop did the KLUNKER 5 come from?
VANS BIKE & KEY, Long Beach CA.
1585206888576.png

Can't seem to find a pic of my red Klunker's shop tag ( I posted it here somewhere? ) I think it was close to your shop on Manhattan beach blvd in Torrance maybe, I think you said it was your competitor a couple of miles away?.

Yea, back in the day there were quite a few Schwinn dealers scattered around the South Bay, including Torrance, Redondo, Lomita, and if I remember correctly, even Hermosa Beach?

Thanks Xlobsterman! I believe that the "MR" serial number indicates a December of 1980 build, so I would guess it to be an 81 model.

Last edited:
Thanks Xlobsterman! I believe that the "MR" serial number indicates a December of 1980 build, so I would guess it to be an 81 model.

The 4 digits stamped into the head badge will confirm the build date of the bikes finally assembly from the factory.

Back