When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
I was surprised to see the other and think it was the first 24" Spitfire listed here and out of the woodwork another, shesh. Apparently according to catalog, Spitfire 24" 1 year only 1979.
Model # CC1-6, Coaster 24-inch wheels.
Can't remember but I think, there's only three 24" listed here: 1 Cruiser and now two Spitfires.

The 24" Spitfire was available in 79, then as a 24" Cruiser in 80 to 82, then 24" was dropped from the line up due to the lack of sales.

I recently picked up a '78 Spitfire, and it's got a front hub I haven't seen before. I'm guessing it was to take the heavy gauge spokes, but my knowledge of these late single speeds is slim. Was this hub adapted from the Heavy Duti? Does anybody know when Schwinn stopped making their own hubs?

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

Unfortunately I don’t have the answers to your questions, but can attest to having the exact same front hub and HD spokes on my 79 Spitfire that came on the bike as OEM.

Schwinn used Union or Chair brand hubs on their Heavy Duty S7 wheeled bikes and just carried them over to the Spitfire till sometime in 79 when the switched to the larger aluminum ACS hub

Schwinn used Union or Chair brand hubs on their Heavy Duty S7 wheeled bikes and just carried them over to the Spitfire till sometime in 79 when the switched to the larger aluminum ACS hub
That makes sense, thanks! Do you know when they quit making their own hubs? Maybe the mid-'60's?

Actually the Chair & Union hubs were used on the California Cruiser, Spitfire, KLUNKER 5, and Spitfire 5 until late 79. Then switched over to the large flange ACS in late 79 on the Spitfires, then the Cruisers until the 82 model year. The Chair and Union front hubs were also used on the Heavy Duti's and the Tandems through the 70's.

Don't think they ever actually made their own but just bought branded Schwinn or Schwinn Approved.

Don't think they ever actually made their own but just bought branded Schwinn or Schwinn Approved.
I'm thinking about the front hubs on the earlier bikes, like the balloon Jaguar. By the '70's they just bought hubs but I thought they made the earlier ones. But maybe I'm wrong.

Actually the Chair & Union hubs were used on the California Cruiser, Spitfire, KLUNKER 5, and Spitfire 5 until late 79. Then switched over to the large flange ACS in late 79 on the Spitfires, then the Cruisers until the 82 model year. The Chair and Union front hubs were also used on the Heavy Duti's and the Tandems through the 70's.
So '82 was the last year for the heavy gauge spokes? I guess when they shut down Chicago that was something else that got left behind.

So '82 was the last year for the heavy gauge spokes? I guess when they shut down Chicago that was something else that got left behind.

YES, the 83 cruiser I have has .080ga spokes, a Shimano rear coaster hub, and large flange Normandy front hub. I believe I posted a pic of that bike somewhere earlier in this message thread?

Back