When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've always heard sometime in early 80 they just decided to simplify production and stop makeing 2 different style frames ( fender bridges ), my 2 black deluxe both AR Jan. frame date but the one assembled in Jan has non-brake style bridge and the Feb. had the brake style. As far as Schwinn/union pedals, I think they were produced in USA & Germany at the same time so could getting a mixed pair on a factory bike but also could have been a owner or shop replacement over the years.

True that one of them could have been replaced but I think these came from the factory this way. I have had the bike since 82 and before that belonged to a buddy of mine who bought it new.

Question for you Spitfire experts, please. Yesterday I was doing maintenance on the ’79 and noticed that the original pedals were made by Union, but one in the USA and one in Germany. Was this common? Did both Union factories make pedals for the Schwinn factory and the assembly folks at Schwinn had a parts bin that had both the US and German pedals mixed that were used for these bikes? Have you guys run into this before?

View attachment 1387329

That's not the norm for a 79!

Last edited:
I've always heard sometime in early 80 they just decided to simplify production and stop makeing 2 different style frames ( fender bridges ), my 2 black deluxe both AR Jan. frame date but the one assembled in Jan has non-brake style bridge and the Feb. had the brake style. As far as Schwinn/union pedals, I think they were produced in USA & Germany at the same time so could getting a mixed pair on a factory bike but also could have been a owner or shop replacement over the years.

They still made the middleweight frames into the 80's, they just started making a frame specifically for the Cruisers starting with the 1980 model year.

Question for you Spitfire experts, please. Yesterday I was doing maintenance on the ’79 and noticed that the original pedals were made by Union, but one in the USA and one in Germany. Was this common? Did both Union factories make pedals for the Schwinn factory and the assembly folks at Schwinn had a parts bin that had both the US and German pedals mixed that were used for these bikes? Have you guys run into this before?

View attachment 1387329

I would say one of the pedals got swapped out at one time. I highly doubt it came from the factory that way?

What do the other ends of the pedals look like?

I would say one of the pedals got swapped out at one time. I highly doubt it came from the factory that way?

What do the other ends of the pedals look like?
They are beat up and rusty from many, many years and miles.....I’ll see if I can see any difference. Thanks much.

D232FEF2-C0B7-4447-AE78-F47DFE3647FA.jpeg

‘79 bought from original owner who brought it to Tennessee from California when his family moved. Chain is soaking so not on yet.

were these sold in the eastern states? I don't remember ever seeing one back when they were new.

View attachment 1394612
‘79 bought from original owner who brought it to Tennessee from California when his family moved. Chain is soaking so not on yet.

That is a classic California bike with the grab-on bar pads, and the foot pegs! Those were 2 of the best selling accessories for the Spitfires & Cruisers when I was working at the shop back in the day! This upgrade allowed all the guys to shuttle all the bikini clad chics up and and down the bike path at the beaches in So. Cal.

Back