When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Frame serial number is FQ511892. I found a badge stamped #1499 on eBay. I'm thinking about ordering it as It's in decent shape, even though it predates the frame stamping.

If there's no stamp on a badge, does that mean it's considered a "spare part" and was not shipped with a bike? Or, are there just a lot of badges out there that were on bikes but never stamped (pre-70s/80s)?
The badge dates started in 1976, so a badge without the date was used before 1976. Most likely pulled off a bike and possibly could be NOS or a repop. Hyper-Formance (Pete) had the license to reproduce the badges for Sting Rays so there's probably quite a few hundred/thousand of those floating around. I don't remember if they were the first issue of the small ovals without Chicago, the later with Chicago or maybe even both types. I'd be tempted to get a badge without a stamping and find a die set the correct size and stamp my own before buying one that predates the serial.

Frame serial number is FQ511892. I found a badge stamped #1499 on eBay. I'm thinking about ordering it as It's in decent shape, even though it predates the frame stamping.

If there's no stamp on a badge, does that mean it's considered a "spare part" and was not shipped with a bike? Or, are there just a lot of badges out there that were on bikes but never stamped (pre-70s/80s)?

If its going to be the wrong one you might as well keep the one you have. They aren't cheap so why waste your money on one you know is wrong.

Rad! I moved to North County OC last year and really miss cruising the Strand. The bike path down here, at least from Bolsa to Huntington, reminds me of riding from El Segundo to Playa Del Rey.

I looked up the Spitfire serial number on BikeHistory.org and it came back as being from June '79. I'll keep an eye out for a Chicago badge stamped 1529 through 1819. Or any XXX9 if I can't find a June badge.

I've found quite a few 80s badges and also unstamped Chicago badges on eBay but nothing from 79. The closest 70s badge I've found is 1727.

When I worked at the shop back in the day, we swapped head badges all the time to customize the bikes. All the different color accessory badges Schwinn sold were not date stamped. If it were me, I would not worry too much about the stamped head badge if it is not original to the bike! I would just find a good clean one, and put it on. It would still be better than the non original one you have now with the crappy paint job that came off a bike built in Taiwan!

Here is a link on Ebay to the style you will need for that era Spitfire/Cruiser

Last edited:
If its going to be the wrong one you might as well keep the one you have. They aren't cheap so why waste your money on one you know is wrong
If it were me, I would not worry too much about the stamped head badge if it is not original to the bike! I would just find a good clean one, and put it on. It would still be better than the non original one you have now with the crappy paint job that came off a bike built in Taiwan!

Here is a link on Ebay to the style you will need for that era Spitfire/Cruiser

Valid points, thanks guys!

Hi.

I picked up a 79 Spitfire this weekend off CL from a guy that had a garage full of old Schwinn bikes and parts. It's been repainted and the stickers are vinyl, but the bike rides well and is in pretty good condition. I'm planning to peel off the vinyl stickers and replace them with some water transfer stickers I ordered off eBay.

View attachment 1596444

I'd also like to pick up a different badge. The one that is on it has been sprayed silver with blue touch up paint on the letters. It's also stamped 2297, which I think makes it a 1987 badge?

Anyway, I noticed my 66 Racer does not have Chicago on the badge while my 70 Twin does:

View attachment 1596445

Going through this thread, I was trying to figure out what the correct badge would be for my 79 and based on other blue Spitfires in this thread, a white badge with black letters looks like it would be the one to get.

In 79, did all badges include "Chicago"? I'm looking on eBay and I see both. I'm more concerned with getting the correct badge than I am with getting one in perfect condition.

Also...I want to try and dull the paint a bit. The guy did a good job spraying it but it's too "new" looking if that makes sense. I was thinking of trying to knock some of the shine off with some 0000 steel wool. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

I was a teen in the 80s and grew up in the South Bay (Redondo & Hermosa). We always referred to this bike as the "Strand Cruiser" and it's really cool seeing the South Bay photos in this thread. As a kid, my two favorite bike shops were Aviation Cyclery and Dad's Bike Barn.

Cheers,
Anthony
was this the one in buena park ca?

Spotted this trio on CL tonight.

The two 83s are for sale, $600 each. The 79 is "not for sale unless you make fat offer."

My Spitfire/Cruiser knowledge doesn't run very deep but in the catalogs, they show the Springer fork on the 1980 Deluxe Cruiser but I didn't see it in the 79 catalog. Was it available from Schwinn on the Spitfire or was it a bike shop installed option?

Those Studded Balloons though! 🤤

Az_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg_1200900_2022-03-29_21-23-13.png

Here is an early ‘80 with a CR serial number. I bought just the frame, fork and crank the other day and put the rest of it together with some on hand parts. Funny story behind this one. I saw a local ad for a complete bike - this one, with red handbrakes and cables, red anodized stem, blue Araya hoops with red spokes, freewheel hub and red BMX pedals listed for $30. Yes, $30. Long story short, it ended up selling for MUCH more than that, and I ended up buying the frame and fork from the brother of the high bidder. After taking the headset and BB apart, it looked like it sat garaged for a long time. Thanks to @ian and @mrg for some parts acquired that went into this build. I am stoked to have it and thanks for looking.

D0EA08DF-1DE8-422B-8A62-4FF9831029D9.jpeg

C1FCEC0D-4CB9-45E7-BC59-A3261070AB3B.jpeg

3E49C068-4146-4077-AA33-D9B51A3D813B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back