When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is an early ‘80 with a CR serial number. I bought just the frame, fork and crank the other day and put the rest of it together with some on hand parts. Funny story behind this one. I saw a local ad for a complete bike - this one, with red handbrakes and cables, red anodized stem, blue Araya hoops with red spokes, freewheel hub and red BMX pedals listed for $30. Yes, $30. Long story short, it ended up selling for MUCH more than that, and I ended up buying the frame and fork from the brother of the high bidder. After taking the headset and BB apart, it looked like it sat garaged for a long time. Thanks to @ian and @mrg for some parts acquired that went into this build. I am stoked to have it and thanks for looking.

View attachment 1599653

View attachment 1599654

View attachment 1599655

That turned out nice! Another South Bay bike shop bike. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken pictures of all the Cruiser/Spitfire bikes that I customized back in my days working at the shop. But I never envisioned that I would have the need to post those pictures on message boards such as this some 40+ years later!!!

Spring cleaning, aired up the tires, and dusted off the bikes today!

Just picked up the April 24th 1979 spitfire. It’s just a few months older than I am! It was a good deal and I live black schwinns. It’s in really good shape, and mostly looks original. The seat post bolt looks like it might be wrong, and the tires have been switched. Someone put solid tubes on it and it makes the bike weigh a ton. I think it’s spent most of its life sitting in a garage, with garage type of nicks and chips. Should clean up good. Feels like the grease is really old and sticky, especially in the rear hub. I kind of hate the foam grips, do you guys normally switch them out?
The bike shop sticker is from an old local schwinn shop that closed a number off years ago. Looks like the bike stayed within a few miles of it for most of its life.

Posted this bike in another category but meant to show it here. Here's a 1980 Cruiser i klunked for cruising around the hood. Has a late model spring fork, some gold annodized parts. Rides ok but will try to find a different chain ring that will better suit. Also rear rim needs a little truing but still fun to cruise. Listing it locally for $575 to sell.

20220412_085044.jpg

20220412_085103.jpg

20220412_085206.jpg

20220412_085237.jpg

20220412_085242.jpg

Just picked up the April 24th 1979 spitfire. It’s just a few months older than I am! It was a good deal and I live black schwinns. It’s in really good shape, and mostly looks original. The seat post bolt looks like it might be wrong, and the tires have been switched. Someone put solid tubes on it and it makes the bike weigh a ton. I think it’s spent most of its life sitting in a garage, with garage type of nicks and chips. Should clean up good. Feels like the grease is really old and sticky, especially in the rear hub. I kind of hate the foam grips, do you guys normally switch them out?
The bike shop sticker is from an old local schwinn shop that closed a number off years ago. Looks like the bike stayed within a few miles of it for most of its life.
View attachment 1605643

View attachment 1605644

View attachment 1605645

View attachment 1605646

View attachment 1605647

View attachment 1605648

View attachment 1605649

Those foam pads were one of our top upsells when I worked at the shop in Manhattan Beach, California. Those pads, a set of foot pegs mounted on the front axel, and the guys could have their bikini clad girlfriends riding on the bars while cruising the bike path at the beaches in sunny California!!!

Back