When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
All HD that i have seen have that brake bridge from1966-1975.

When the HD was first released in 1965 it was advertised as having a stronger reinforced frame. In 1965 it used frame # 1914-r then for 66-75 it used frame 1920 exactly the same frame as the typhoon 3 speeds used.
Remember in '65 the Heavy Duti was actually a King Size frame

When the HD was first released in 1965 it was advertised as having a stronger reinforced frame. In 1965 it used frame # 1914-r then for 66-75 it used frame 1920 exactly the same frame as the typhoon 3 speeds used.
That's interesting. After I saw your post I went back and checked and you're right. The first year Heavy-Duti had a separate frame number, but after that they used the same frame as the 3 speed Typhoon (#1920), even though the single and two speed Typhoons were using a different frame (#1919-C). I'm guessing the numbers denoted the different rear fender brackets. And the 1964 American and American Heavy Duty used the same frame (#1919-C), so evidently only the first year of the Heavy-Duti had a special frame. Thanks for pointing that out!
Now I wonder exactly what the differences in the '65 frames were. I'm also wondering if the Typhoon used the #1919-C frame after 1970, when the three speed option was dropped, but the '70's Findley/Waterford catalogs don't show specific part numbers. If they were, then Schwinn was building two different middleweight frames in the '70's, even though neither was three speed. Strange.

Remember in '65 the Heavy Duti was actually a King Size frame
This is the first time I've heard that. The frame number for the 1964 American Kingsize is #1914, for the 1965 Heavy-Duti it's #1914-R, but the Heavy Duti picture in the 1965 catalog doesn't show a kingsize frame. Now I'm confused.

That's interesting. After I saw your post I went back and checked and you're right. The first year Heavy-Duti had a separate frame number, but after that they used the same frame as the 3 speed Typhoon (#1920), even though the single and two speed Typhoons were using a different frame (#1919-C). I'm guessing the numbers denoted the different rear fender brackets. And the 1964 American and American Heavy Duty used the same frame (#1919-C), so evidently only the first year of the Heavy-Duti had a special frame. Thanks for pointing that out!
Now I wonder exactly what the differences in the '65 frames were. I'm also wondering if the Typhoon used the #1919-C frame after 1970, when the three speed option was dropped, but the '70's Findley/Waterford catalogs don't show specific part numbers. If they were, then Schwinn was building two different middleweight frames in the '70's, even though neither was three speed. Strange.
Each style frame had its own frame number. For example like you stated the single speed and two speed Typhoons used frame 1919-c frame, 3 speed Typhoons used the 1920 frame, the single speed and two speed Panthers used the 1919-d. This was the same frame as the Typhoon single speed and two speed but the 1919-d had the tabs to mount the slimline tank. Even though 1965 was the only year to use the 1914-r frame, the heavy duty was always advertised as having a reinforced frame even while it was using the 1920 frame from 1966-1975. You are correct about Typhoons only using the 1919-C frame after the 3 speed option was dropped but the heavy duty continued to use the 1920 frame up until 1975.

I'm glad someone talking technical numbers about the Spitfire / Cruiser Frames. I have been collecting these bicycles and am always interested in learning more about them. I know this has been talked about, but I can't seem to find the info.
I noticed in the specification catalog the different 26" frame names & numbers, the earlier "middleweight frame" up to 1979 then the later referred to both "middleweight" & "balloon" frame, in spec. catalog after 1980.
Cruiser 1919C & Spitfire / Cruiser 5 1919D, then in the 1980 spec. catalog the number changed to 1900 and changed again in 1982 to 1900D. Probably nothing significant but a part number update. Was there much difference in the frames ? ... Wider Rear Stay clearance ? ... Welded reinforcement ?
Please advise if this information needs correction.
Also,
Women's 26" Cruiser frame is 1901
24" Cruiser frame is 1929C
20" Cruiser frame is 1925C

Something is strange about this. Someone showed me 3 HDs on facebook today. A black 70 with brake bridge, and 2 yellow ones with a fender brace. One was a 77, I don't know what the other is. Then I have a 73 with a fender brace.

I'm glad someone talking technical numbers about the Spitfire / Cruiser Frames. I have been collecting these bicycles and am always interested in learning more about them. I know this has been talked about, but I can't seem to find the info.
I noticed in the specification catalog the different 26" frame names & numbers, the earlier "middleweight frame" up to 1979 then the later referred to both "middleweight" & "balloon" frame, in spec. catalog after 1980.
Cruiser 1919C & Spitfire / Cruiser 5 1919D, then in the 1980 spec. catalog the number changed to 1900 and changed again in 1982 to 1900D. Probably nothing significant but a part number update. Was there much difference in the frames ? ... Wider Rear Stay clearance ? ... Welded reinforcement ?
Also,

Have you ever found a paper clip hooked to the rear fender mounting tab on the kickstand tube and was painted with the frame? These were on a Cruiser 5, and possibly all the 5 speed versions prior.

Also,
First to be honest I was always under the impression that the "Ballon bikes" from late 70s early 80s were wider at rear stays but not as wide as a tru Ballon bike from the 50s. So I looked up frame designations and this is what I found 1660265

It shows me that a true Ballon bike used frame number 1921 but it does not show me the frame number to a Ballon bike with hand brakes

Back