When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s take about seats (saddles) not butts

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have seen a number posts in this forum that point out that a particular saddle is a “XYZ” frame with an “ABC” top (fill in the blanks with Troxel, Parsons, etc,). Now let me say almost everyone on here has been at this a lot longer than I have and knows way more than I do. But how is is possible to have a different manufactured top with a different frame? Seems to me that wouldn’t be compatible.
Now all this said I have been looking for a couple of different saddles that would work on my 1911 Iver Johnson see list below. I am only sharing list because I would like to find the correct frame so I can the have Chucks saddle shop make me a saddle. But I have no idea what the frame for one of these saddles looks like.

So if any one has pictures that would show saddle frames for saddles I would welcome your help.

The List
Parsons overland
Parsons Sterling
Parsons Roadster
Parsons special
Troxels Thirty
Troxels Star
Troxels Forty
Troxels Four
Troxels Seven

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
There is so many saddles. Just go for one you like.
I don't know who is "Chucks" is bur I have @STRADALITE make my saddles and I can say that in 20 + years, he is the best

Here's an ad with all but two of your saddles. If you want to restore to factory specs...I suggest you look at an IJ 1910-11 catalog and find your frame then choose the recommended saddle in the illustration. If instead you want more comfort, choose a saddle that offers (compound springs and cushion). Back in the day, saddles that were not standard equipment were optional, designed for individual preferences...there is no wrong saddle pick, as long as it was manufactured before or around the 1911 time period. Cyclers were not choosing saddles for its esthetics, it was about the ergonomics and its cost!

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 10.03.50 PM.png

Last edited:
I have a 1912 IJ model 87 Roadster so I have researched the saddles from this time period quite extensively in my own search for the correct saddle. If you read the 1911ish catalog it will tell you what came standard, and what saddles were optional. Sometimes the same saddle could have come with different style springs depending on riding needs and preferences. Such is the case with the Troxel Star which you can see below. I ended up finding a beautiful example of the Star for my preservation project. Hope this is helpful.
F9476FE1-4FC6-4C2D-8F9F-23C21C53F8A5.jpeg

FF8A47AD-1118-4D1B-AEB9-20589E590FA8.jpeg

D7116C2A-3299-4DD2-A56A-ADBA564B51D0.jpeg

CE956FD9-F0DA-4347-AAE8-8372E988A0EC.jpeg

C337AE1F-B65C-4F31-9C73-8D0A84DE6771.jpeg

8E4281AD-2B8F-41E5-B277-EC4EE32183FC.jpeg

3A5968C8-97EE-40F1-ADCB-CBFF8993D0FC.jpeg

This pic below is my 1919 Iver model 90. This is a good example of an optional saddle, it is the Troxel 30. This was not standard, but was a factor opinion in 1919 and is original to this bike. Saddle types are typically determined by bike model, and preference. You could put just about anything period correct on the bike and call it good. However if you intend to preserve the bike with its original factory components then there is a correct saddle, with options as well...
B7121B3A-DCCE-4E5C-953B-E790D85DA34A.jpeg

Back