When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see some Typhoons

-
Here is my 1969 Typhoon. Original paint. It's a bit flaky PO left it out in the desert sun. Original grips and fenders. Replaced seat but the worst part is the gooseneck. There is a large crack which allowed water to get down and now it's rusted solid. I can't raise or remove the handlebars. Chinese tires are 26x2x 1 3\4 and they roll good.
Bummer.
But what else are you going to get from a thrift store.

View attachment 1021866

View attachment 1021867
As clean as your chrome is, it's hard to believe the stem can be rusted that bad. I bet it can be removed with some penetrating oil and patience. Check The Workshop forum, you're not the first to have this problem. Nice find, especially with the two speed hub!

As clean as your chrome is, it's hard to believe the stem can be rusted that bad. I bet it can be removed with some penetrating oil and patience. Check The Workshop forum, you're not the first to have this problem. Nice find, especially with the two speed hub!
I had a local guy who is big into schwinns try to help and we couldn't"massage" it out. Used heat and nut cracker spray. Let it soak for a while, even used the bar in the forks method and still didn't move. Good thing is that they are frozen straight lol

My 1967 3 speed Deluxe Typhoon. Bought as a frame, fork & guard. Added stainless fenders, reflector bow pedals, correct front rack, rear Sturmey Archer drum brake S-7 wheel, Chinese ww tires and mud flap plus different rear reflector. I'm having trouble re-sizing pics for this site, so only one non-drive side pic, sorry.

IMG_1558.JPG

Here’s a few pictures of my ‘63 Schwinn typhoon. I had the frame and forks sandblasted and powder coated black and added aftermarket decals(seat tube decal is incorrect for my year but I couldn’t resist) I still need to have a couple small dings knocked out of the fenders & powdercoat them. I added some aftermarket s7 tires, hope to get some black westwinds on it eventually.

I’m trying to figure out which rear fender reflector or size it would of had when new. The one on it is off a different bike and doesn’t fit the contour.
998B36AF-A08B-4C89-8C33-8BD5D0043ECC.jpeg

3D91D2A7-B31F-464E-930A-182966C13B16.jpeg

09324367-6D70-43EF-9095-63F15D3279A8.jpeg

Last edited:
This 68 Typhoon I have owned for 10 years and has been through a number of versions 2 of which aren’t shown below. I had the frame shipped to Australia and it came only with its original crank, sprocket, stand and chainguard. The fork was bent.

Back