When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see them Aluminum Frame Panthers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Ignoz keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist and maybe have a saved search on eBay. These bikes do come up from time to time and generally don’t fetch too much. I’m not in the market for one but I’ve seen them on Minneapolis Craigslist for $100-$300 in the recent past.

So did these have a coaster brake and a u-brake on the back wheel? Is that what I am seeing?

That totally did not make sense, his has a drum brake but it came with a Freewheel and a you break

Did ragbrai on mine one year. Photo of it on my final ride on it last year. Then sold it. The brown gorillas ruined it and bike flights refunded the buyer.

This bike always irked me. Sold with a single cog freewheel but the frame had cable guides and a hanger for a der and the fork had welded on canti mounts with a plastic cap to hide the threads. Make up your mind manufacturers! Sell it without the extra junk or put a der on it. Or offer two models. Having the option to "upgrade" just doesn't cut it.

The solo u brake was barely adequate. Nearly no tire clearance at the chain stays. I added a half-link to keep it from rubbing. A full link put the rim out of range of the pads. Had to replace the left crank arm as the surface where the pedal axle flat met the arm was so crooked the pedal kept creaking and working out.

View attachment 1212698
I would pay $750 for the Panther in this pic :)

I believe 2000 added carbon fiber look fenders,nexus 7 speed,bars and upgraded tires. It's light and rides great

20210120_123113.jpg

Hi! I absolutely love my panther! I believe that it’s been largely over looked as one of the best modern Schwinns ever made! It’s fast,smooth, light and an absolute joy to ride! Very upgradable and classic style too! From what I have found is that Schwinn did make them here in 2000 &early 2001. Don’t know how many were made here but do know that it wasn’t very many and I believe that you had to be a Schwinn dealer to get one! The dealer I got mine from outfitted my panther with many upgrades to show what could be done with them and had it on his show room for as a demo due to the very low interest in these bikes at the time! You’ll have to wait until I am dead to get this Panther! Lmao! Glad to see that there’s a renewed interest in these awesome bikes!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am fond of these bikes also, even though 100's of schwinns have passed thru my hands my 2000 Panther is the first and only Schwinn I ever bought new. I ride mine a lot and find it to be a very fun bike. They were rather costly when new and likely did not seem to be a good value to most buyers, I do not think many were manufactured or sold. Other than mine I have only seen three others in the last 20 years.
My badge number is 2809 which I assume makes it a very early 2000 model and it was made in Taiwan, I do not think any of them were made in the USA.
I agree with Sworley who wrote in his post above "I think these will always be bikes that most don't get or don't care about, save for the few that have been fortunate enough to have ridden one."

Back