When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lets see those americans

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My 58 Schwinn American. Found with longhorn red bars and massive chrome cyclecross pedals. The kind of pedals Ben Hur would have used if the Romans held bike races in the Hippodrome!
1958 Schwinn American.jpg

Hi,
I don't know, when I say I found it this way I mean found. ;) It was a rescue from the trash just like my teens Pierce. The occasional perk of working 27 years at a solid waste transfer station.

Cool rider. What rims and tires are one that, tires look huge for a middleweight.

Cool rider. What rims and tires are one that, tires look huge for a middleweight.
If your referring to mine I don't know that either. They're modern rims. I think someone started with the frame and built it up. I couple month after I found the American an early 60s woman's Schwinn came in but the front end loader crunched her before I saw it. I salvaged what I could and thats where the bars, grips and pedals came from. As I recall from looking up the serial number it came off the line in November 1958, since I came off the line in March of 58 I figured it was meant to be and it and the Pierce I found dragged me into this cool and crazy hobby!

Gary

I got this American last week. I think it is a 56. It's missing the 2speed shifter and the saddle has been replaced. Should it have an "S" saddle? What was the first year for S7 rims?
Thanks,
Chris

IMG_20181016_175541.jpg

IMG_20181022_111618.jpg

The paint looks clean based on the limited amount in the pics. Looks like it’s dated 8/2 or 8/3 1956 according to the list on the Schwinn forum (http://www.timesofplenty.com/2014/schwinnserial1952to1969.html). Here’s the catalog illustration from the Findlay collection ‘56 catalog.
Americans always had chrome S-7 1-3/4” rims starting in ‘55, their first year. The “S” seat wouldn’t be original, maybe someone else can chime in with the seat brand based on the catalog image. I believe “S” seats were introduced in the 1959 catalog. I’m open to being corrected, I don’t know it all.
36B02856-F77D-482D-B927-BA46D5A70A7B.jpeg

Thanks, I have seen that image, maybe its a Messinger saddle. I'll look for something similar. I have a really nice blue "S" saddle, Too bad its too new.

Back