Lets see your Chromed Spaceliner style bike

Discussion in 'Middleweight Bicycles' started by jd56, Mar 26, 2012.

1. #1 Posted Mar 26, 2012

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

I, as many of you, am a collector of the Chromed Spaceliner style bikes.
    It would be a great reference to see what yours (before and after) looks like.
    There are so many variations of these Murrays, so lets see what you call a "Spaceliner"

Be sure to let us know what you had to do to get it in showroom condition.

Wayne Adam had a great post of his finished resto a while back...and was a great help.
    Wayne it's your fault for getting me into these. I was content on the "ballooner" style bike when I started this obessession / addiction. But your post of the never seen before style bike, just did something to me. And I thank you for it.

I'm proud of my two.

This is my after restoration of a 65' ladies and mens Astroflite
    [​IMG]

Here is the before on the mens (actually two, still working on the other)
    [​IMG]

Here's what needed to be done on these....

My ladies needed no work to look this good. What you see here is how I got it....an amazing condition find.
    Battery tray is in rough condition but the light works. Still need to work on the horn. The rear talilight assembly is missing, working on finding that. The chromed headlight bezel needs replacing and the dash decals are rough. But, presentable for the moment.

The finished mens was a chore to get done. The clearcoat on the frame was peeling/flaking,faded and foxed. So a month of scraping the clearcoat with a razor blade, to get to the chromed frame was rough on the fingers but, the end result was amazing. He shines again!!
    Still need to find a new headlight bezel as this one is cracked. Needs a new battry tray too....anybody got one??

The second mens Astroflite is still in resto. The seller still is trying to find the much needed tanklight parts and the tailight assembly.

Again, Lets See Yours!! And thanks for sharing.

#1 jd56, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. #2 Posted Mar 26, 2012

I live for the CABE

1964 Sears Deluxe Spaceliner

I posted these pix a while back. I restored this ladies Spaceliner this past year. I have owned the bike for about 20 years.
    I stripped & polished the frame, and painted the metal parts with lacquer. Every part on the bike is original including the original Allstate tires.
    Thanks for looking!..............Wayne

Attached Files:

3. #3 Posted Mar 26, 2012

'Lil Knee Scuffer

Here is a pair I am trying to sell locally

Not Restored but cleaned up pretty good.Repacked all bearings and brakes They ride real nice

DSC00464.JPG

DSC00466.JPG

DSC00460.JPG

Levine likes this.
  4. #4 Posted Mar 26, 2012

Wayne you already know I love your bike. Thanks for sharing the pics again.

Tony, wow!!! the chance of getting a 7 bar and conventional tanked spaceliner in "just cleaned and lubed" condition is amazing. One day I will add a 7 bar (even though the tank is plastic). Great looking bikes:p
    Thanks for posting pics again.

5. #5 Posted Mar 27, 2012

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

These are not chrome but I know you would appreciate them anyway JD.
    searsflightliner-1.jpg
    1960sears1-1.jpg
    womansspaceliner3-1.jpg
    1963searsspaceliner1-1.jpg
    searsspaceliner-1.jpg

6. #6 Posted Mar 27, 2012

They are all Spaceliners is someones eyes

Vince thanks for sharing your tanklight collection. And I do appreciate the sharing.
    2 painted 7 bars which are amazing even as a painted frame but, Spaceliners. Just enough chrome on these to make the bikes pop!! I notice these are in the living room unlike the others that are outside....I wouldn't let let out of my sight either...lol
    I hope my wife will be as excited as me, when I bring two like these home one day....lol.
    And then not just one JC Higgins Flightliner but two, and of course the Sonic or Meteor Flite.
    All you need know is a StratoFlite, AstroFlite and a Sonic Flyer to round of the collection.
    Dang I love these Chromed and PAINTED forward thrust tanklights:p:p:p:cool:

Chrome and the "Forward Thrust" tanklight seems to be synonymous to the "Spaceliner" style bike. But, the Chrome and Painted versions are the same in style and still "Liners" spaceliner bikes regardless of who designed it.
    Many confuse the original designer Viktor Schreckengost "Spaceliner" with the tanklight look. The misconception that if it's a late 50's to late 60's middleweight tanklight bike it's immediately labled a Spaceliner.
    Sure, we see that there are alot of versions of the same style manufacturered by Murray Ohio for the various retailersand they all look good to me and I don't have enough storage to collect them all. But, give me time and money and that quest will be fulfilled.

I Should have labled this thread as "Let's see your Chrome or Painted Tanklight bike that you call a Spaceliner".

Then there are the earlier tanklights that started the whole look....one that comes to mind might be the Schwinn Streamline AeroCycle. I'm sure I will be corrected by the gurus, as this may not be one of the first but that is a cool looking bike. That's another thread to come.....hmmmm maybe soon.
    What better way to make a wish list.

#6 jd56, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    1969nam likes this.
  7. #7 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Finally riding a big boys bike

Heres a horrible picture of a grouping of ”liners”.
    My mens sears spaceliner, ladies higgins flightliner, murray missle, and a buddies mens flightliner...
    Ill post individuals later.

IMAG1733-1.jpg

8. #8 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Here's my recently completed Spaceliner pair. I got the men's last summer with just the tank shell. Harvested some parts from a complete bike, bought a battery tray on ebay, then picked up the matching complete lady on ebay locally for my girlfriend to ride when she's over. I rewired most everything and got the lights working. I'm in on the pair at about 225$ :eek:

DSCF3591-1.jpg

And the other Schreckengost in the stable--my dad's 24" 5-speed Spyder.

DSCF3592-1.jpg

If you're looking for luxurious, early tanklights, you've got the Shelby Airflow, Elgin Bluebird of course and, my favorite, Mercury Pacemaker

MercMens450gif-1.jpg

jason morton likes this.
  9. #9 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Thanks JP and BK for the pics. I want more!!!!

I did start a ballooner tanklight thread under the "general discussions forum" on the "oldest tanklight in your collection or want to add to your collection". And for those like me that don't have any real old ones I also asked that those in my situation post one they want....not necessarily can afford.

Thanks again for posting

10. #10 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Ah yes, that World's Fair Pacemaker pair certainly are not mine :eek:

11. #11 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Is the pacemaker a tanklight? Cook looking bike for sure!

12. #12 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Wore out three sets of tires already!

That Mercury Pacemaker is one killer looking bicycle. I love it!!

Just enjoying the ride!
    Brooks

13. #13 Posted Mar 27, 2012

Your Theme Song...

Sorry but this obsession, say this tanklight fetish of yours, brings to mind this song by Huey Lewis and The News:

[video=youtube;N6uEMOeDZsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA&ob=av3n[/video]

Now, I would show my Spaceliner, but I've had it for a long time and it is almost in "as found" condition still. Its the "Real Christine" bike from the "haunted" barn story I've told before. I put quotations around "Real Christine" and "haunted" because it is only my opinion and expereince, not that of an expert. Not that I really want that fact solidified. It would only further creep me out.

Now if I ever find all the parts I need and I finally tear into it...say a prayer folks, LOL! They say that renovation and remodeling of a house stirs such activity. Weather this is true or applies to bikes, I don't know. We will find out all in good time, I'm sure.

Should I maybe backlight the control panel in that same creepy green and have a Little Richard tape inside? hmm, oh the possibilities!

#13 partsguy, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  14. #14 Posted Mar 28, 2012

I inject wd40 and remove the tracks with 0000 once a week. Then there the high i get from the daily dose of the cabe pill....My new drug for my obession.
    Love the song and would trade a day of bike work for a little sun next to the babe on the bow of the boat. Shhshh here comes my wife, got to go....

Oh real quick....Post the pics of your project in its present condition. The thread includes before pics too.

The addict

15. #15 Posted Mar 28, 2012

Well, I'm trapped at home at my dad's house. My car broke a coil spring and the bike is in mom's attic. Here is a very old pic of it when I first found it in the barn:

bikesfrombarn001-1.jpg

That barn is still kinda creepy. I'll go in for a Scooby Snack!

For the bike, I have so far, since that expereience so long ago, I just found the seat, the rest of the rack, fenders (maybe for an earlier model and may have to resell since one is for a springer model), gutted tank, horn, and upgraded the chaingaurd.

The bike was a painted frame model so it most likely had the rocket reflectors on the rack. I'm just restoring this because of the historyand story associated with it. That and it is a family classic and has been in the family for the better part of 30 years. No monetary motivation involved here!

#15 partsguy, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  16. #16 Posted Mar 29, 2012

Need more pics!!

Come on Spaceliner fans...I need more poictures of your Liner bike...chrome or painted, before, during or completed resto.

I know there is more:rolleyes:

17. #17 Posted Mar 29, 2012

Wore out three sets of tires already!

#17 Uniblab, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  18. #18 Posted Mar 31, 2012

Thx Anthony for adding the pics here.
    She's looking good.

19. #19 Posted Apr 1, 2012

'Lil Knee Scuffer

kickback005-1.jpg

I believe you would call it a "survivor"....right down to the original tubes. :)

20. #20 Posted Apr 1, 2012

Nice Rockit. Got a frontal shot? Showing the tanklight.
    And nice to have the rear reflector chromed and the 3 band kickback hub.
    Lets see a chainguard view too....please

Thanks for posting

#20 jd56, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012