When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your Chromed Spaceliner style bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My new addition

Just picked up this ladies Spaceliner.
My first true Spaceliner....almost. I wonder if it is a base model with both knobs. The pedals don't have the jewels but, the teal trim color is correct on them.
Need to find the correct rear fender with the tear drop rear reflector, (the stays don't look right) and check on the correctness of the front fender. It seems to be too short.
Wrong seat and the rat trap is missing. But, she rides great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just picked up this ladies Spaceliner.
My first true Spaceliner....almost. I wonder if it is a base model with both knobs. The pedals don't have the jewels but, the teal trim color is correct on them.
Need to find the correct rear fender with the tear drop rear reflector, (the stays don't look right) and check on the correctness of the front fender. It seems to be too short.
Wrong seat and the rat trap is missing. But, she rides great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ah-ah-ah, not so fast! That is a late model Spaceliner. Much like the one I picked up except yours is a bit more up scale. From what I've seen, these bikes were like cars. You can have any option your little desired. The front fender and the seat are both correct. I think this is a 1966/67 model, and I think 1967 was the last year for the Spaceliner. By that time, it had been scaled back from what it once was. Notice the screen on the chaingaurd? Its not painted and fancy like the gaurds of earlier. It resembles the new look (and less durable) designs seen on Murray-built Muscle Bike chaingaurds.

In addition, by 1965 (I think) with the Flightliner gone, the regular Spaceliner became a base model bike. Take mine, its a prime example. Painted frame, white tank, headlight, and reflectors. Also a non-springer bike. The Spaceliner could be had with a chrome frame, horn and light tank, etc. I think everything except the 2-speed kickback was available on it. What took its place as the top of the line bike? The Spaceliner Deluxe (I call it that). This bike had the more difficult to find "7" shaped tank, only available in chrome, with horn, headlight, tail light, deluxe seat, new style chaingaurd, and more all standard. The only thing you got to choose was the rear hub it had. Your choices were the Bendix two-speed kickback, or you could settle for the Bendix red band single speed coaster.

As far as I can see, the bike is correct and like George Thorogood said,

"One of them spoke up
Said leave this one alone"

Last edited:
last of the mohicans...cool

Ah-ah-ah, not so fast! That is a late model Spaceliner. Much like the one I picked up except yours is a bit more up scale. From what I've seen, these bikes were like cars. You can have any option your little desired. The front fender and the seat are both correct. I think this is a 1966/67 model, and I think 1967 was the last year for the Spaceliner. By that time, it had been scaled back from what it once was. Notice the screen on the chaingaurd? Its not painted and fancy like the gaurds of earlier. It resembles the new look (and less durable) designs seen on Murray-built Muscle Bike chaingaurds.

In addition, by 1965 (I think) with the Flightliner gone, the regular Spaceliner became a base model bike. Take mine, its a prime example. Painted frame, white tank, headlight, and reflectors. Also a non-springer bike. The Spaceliner could be had with a chrome frame, horn and light tank, etc. I think everything except the 2-speed kickback was available on it. What took its place as the top of the line bike? The Spaceliner Deluxe (I call it that). This bike had the more difficult to find "7" shaped tank, only available in chrome, with horn, headlight, tail light, deluxe seat, new style chaingaurd, and more all standard. The only thing you got to choose was the rear hub it had. Your choices were the Bendix two-speed kickback, or you could settle for the Bendix red band single speed coaster.

As far as I can see, the bike is correct and like George Thorogood said,

"One of them spoke up
Said leave this one alone"

I thought for sure it was a peiced fender bike. thanks for the info. You sure know about these liners.

As for the rear hub, mine has a komet not a single band bendix. Is that correct?

So I have a last of the breed Spaceliners and not missing anything. Cool beans. !966-67 huh?

As for the serial numbers on the Sears (502) stampings, I can't find out how you guys (you, Phil, Adam and many more) date the bikes using the numbers. here is what I have

502 463160 75442....the 463160 must be the date code right?
have you got this list at your fingertips for reference or, just judge the year by the style and accessories?

Thanks Stephen

There is a couple of ways. You can determine exactly what year your bike is by refreencing the catalog. But before you buy every old Sears catalog out there, you've got have a ball park idea of what it is you are after. Obviously, I've taken the guess of '66/'67 from what your bike has on it. From there, you may check the catalogs if you want. Now, I'll dig out my '66 Spring and Summer catalog, but I have to tell you, the Sears catalogs have jumped in price since I bought it. I think I only paid about $20 for mine. And that was shipped!

I checked my catalog and WishBookWeb and I was one year off, it was 1964 when they began to put out the new style chaingaurds. Anyway, your bike is a very close match to the 1966 numbers, so I'd bet its probably a 1967. I'd second guess '65.

I checked my catalog and WishBookWeb and I was one year off, it was 1964 when they began to put out the new style chaingaurds. Anyway, your bike is a very close match to the 1966 numbers, so I'd bet its probably a 1967. I'd second guess '65.

WishBookWeb?
And the catalog is a Sears catalog?
Are these serial numbers in either one of those references?
I want that list. These 502 prefixed numbers have had me stumped from the start.
Me collecting all these murray I need a good sears numbers reference.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/

I assume this is the website you mentioned.
Still like to know how you guys figure out the serial number.
the 502 463160 75442 is what you are working off of,.

I assume this is the website you mentioned.
Still like to know how you guys figure out the serial number.
the 502 463160 75442 is what you are working off of,.

Yes, as said, the second set of numbers in the serial number is the catalog number for the bike. Just look it up in the catalogs, its that simple, no chart needed!

Here's my 2 Spaceliners 63's

Here ya go....my 2 Spaceliners. 1963's. Both are still a work in progress. Girls is pretty much complete but the mens is...well still in the works. The front fender isn't correct but I have one on the way. Still need the front of the light as well as the innards. OOps almost forgot the rear tail light lens too. ( Anyone have any of the light parts let me know...I know...wishful thinking!) Then a little spit and polish and I should be done.

I have a 60's ross chrome bike also . I posted a pic or two of it before. I'll add them to this thread later. That bike is also as found...another project.

CO6UBl.jpg
H1hXQl.jpg
o9pVbl.jpg

Thanks
Tom

Back