When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your Chromed Spaceliner style bike

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I, as many of you, am a collector of the Chromed Spaceliner style bikes.
It would be a great reference to see what yours (before and after) looks like.
There are so many variations of these Murrays, so lets see what you call a "Spaceliner"

Be sure to let us know what you had to do to get it in showroom condition.

Wayne Adam had a great post of his finished resto a while back...and was a great help.
Wayne it's your fault for getting me into these. I was content on the "ballooner" style bike when I started this obessession / addiction. But your post of the never seen before style bike, just did something to me. And I thank you for it.

I'm proud of my two.

This is my after restoration of a 65' ladies and mens Astroflite
attachment.php

Here is the before on the mens (actually two, still working on the other)
attachment.php

Here's what needed to be done on these....

My ladies needed no work to look this good. What you see here is how I got it....an amazing condition find.
Battery tray is in rough condition but the light works. Still need to work on the horn. The rear talilight assembly is missing, working on finding that. The chromed headlight bezel needs replacing and the dash decals are rough. But, presentable for the moment.

The finished mens was a chore to get done. The clearcoat on the frame was peeling/flaking,faded and foxed. So a month of scraping the clearcoat with a razor blade, to get to the chromed frame was rough on the fingers but, the end result was amazing. He shines again!!
Still need to find a new headlight bezel as this one is cracked. Needs a new battry tray too....anybody got one??

The second mens Astroflite is still in resto. The seller still is trying to find the much needed tanklight parts and the tailight assembly.

Again, Lets See Yours!! And thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
1964 Sears Deluxe Spaceliner

I posted these pix a while back. I restored this ladies Spaceliner this past year. I have owned the bike for about 20 years.
I stripped & polished the frame, and painted the metal parts with lacquer. Every part on the bike is original including the original Allstate tires.
Thanks for looking!..............Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_9637.JPG
    IMG_9637.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_9638.jpg
    IMG_9638.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_9639.JPG
    IMG_9639.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_9640.JPG
    IMG_9640.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 567
Wayne you already know I love your bike. Thanks for sharing the pics again.

Tony, wow!!! the chance of getting a 7 bar and conventional tanked spaceliner in "just cleaned and lubed" condition is amazing. One day I will add a 7 bar (even though the tank is plastic). Great looking bikes:p
Thanks for posting pics again.

They are all Spaceliners is someones eyes

Vince thanks for sharing your tanklight collection. And I do appreciate the sharing.
2 painted 7 bars which are amazing even as a painted frame but, Spaceliners. Just enough chrome on these to make the bikes pop!! I notice these are in the living room unlike the others that are outside....I wouldn't let let out of my sight either...lol
I hope my wife will be as excited as me, when I bring two like these home one day....lol.
And then not just one JC Higgins Flightliner but two, and of course the Sonic or Meteor Flite.
All you need know is a StratoFlite, AstroFlite and a Sonic Flyer to round of the collection.
Dang I love these Chromed and PAINTED forward thrust tanklights:p:p:p:cool:

Chrome and the "Forward Thrust" tanklight seems to be synonymous to the "Spaceliner" style bike. But, the Chrome and Painted versions are the same in style and still "Liners" spaceliner bikes regardless of who designed it.
Many confuse the original designer Viktor Schreckengost "Spaceliner" with the tanklight look. The misconception that if it's a late 50's to late 60's middleweight tanklight bike it's immediately labled a Spaceliner.
Sure, we see that there are alot of versions of the same style manufacturered by Murray Ohio for the various retailersand they all look good to me and I don't have enough storage to collect them all. But, give me time and money and that quest will be fulfilled.

I Should have labled this thread as "Let's see your Chrome or Painted Tanklight bike that you call a Spaceliner".

Then there are the earlier tanklights that started the whole look....one that comes to mind might be the Schwinn Streamline AeroCycle. I'm sure I will be corrected by the gurus, as this may not be one of the first but that is a cool looking bike. That's another thread to come.....hmmmm maybe soon.
What better way to make a wish list.

Last edited:
Heres a horrible picture of a grouping of ”liners”.
My mens sears spaceliner, ladies higgins flightliner, murray missle, and a buddies mens flightliner...
Ill post individuals later.

IMAG1733-1.jpg

Here's my recently completed Spaceliner pair. I got the men's last summer with just the tank shell. Harvested some parts from a complete bike, bought a battery tray on ebay, then picked up the matching complete lady on ebay locally for my girlfriend to ride when she's over. I rewired most everything and got the lights working. I'm in on the pair at about 225$ :o

DSCF3591-1.jpg

And the other Schreckengost in the stable--my dad's 24" 5-speed Spyder.

DSCF3592-1.jpg

If you're looking for luxurious, early tanklights, you've got the Shelby Airflow, Elgin Bluebird of course and, my favorite, Mercury Pacemaker

MercMens450gif-1.jpg

Thanks JP and BK for the pics. I want more!!!!

I did start a ballooner tanklight thread under the "general discussions forum" on the "oldest tanklight in your collection or want to add to your collection". And for those like me that don't have any real old ones I also asked that those in my situation post one they want....not necessarily can afford.

Thanks again for posting

Thanks JP and BK for the pics. I want more!!!!

I did start a ballooner tanklight thread under the "general discussions forum" on the "oldest tanklight in your collection or want to add to your collection". And for those like me that don't have any real old ones I also asked that those in my situation post one they want....not necessarily can afford.

Thanks again for posting

Ah yes, that World's Fair Pacemaker pair certainly are not mine :o

Back