When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your Chromed Spaceliner style bike

-
these things are apparently worthless. Mine is setting at $10 on ebay, and there is one with a tank for $89.

Here's my now complete and ready to restore Spaceliner that I got at the Trexlertown meet on October 7. Izee2 helped me complete it by selling me the missing hubcap and crashrail. The bike is sweet the way it sits now, but it will be nothing short of spectacular once ot has it's repaint work is hopefully completed by mid to late summer, next year, 2013. Sorry it took so long to post this, JD. I did have another post ready to do that explained my personal childhood history with wanting one of these, but I accidently deleted the text when I was working with the attachments. I'm still really P/O'ed about this right now, so you'll have to settle for these images for now.The first one taken in the daylight in my shop shows the bike with the new Kenda 26" X 1.75" whitewall tires I got from MLC last week at the big Hershey AACA meet The tires, as you can see look great. The tread does have 1960's type non Schwinn type styling to them, and are actually a slightly smaller tire than what is ran on a Schwinn wheel, (S-7 type 26" X 1-3/4") Schwinn tires will not fit Murray rims, as I found out. I have cleaned all the chromed metal on the bike, and for a non-Schwinn bike, I'm impressed by how nice the chrome still looks on this bike! The second picture taken in the evening shows the bike yesterday right after I installed the crank "hubcap" and seat crashrail.

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Earlier images.

Here are some earlier images that I took of the the bike after I unloaded it off the truck, after I got it home from Trexlertown last week, but before I did any cleaning work, or replaced the tires, or added missing parts. This bike just has the looks that go on forever! there is no bad viewing angle of a SPACELINER!!

Jim.

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

Last edited:
Youre right the looks go on and o.
It looks great without the repaint.
Thanks for posting

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The paint is shot, contrary to what the photos show.

Youre right the looks go on and o.
It looks great without the repaint.
Thanks for posting

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The paint on the thing, when you see it in person is just too scruffy for my tastes. There is too much rust through the paint on the frame. I have done total repaints on bikes before, most recently a paint match job on my radiant green custom 5 speed 1961 MK IV Jaguar in 2010. So I feel I can handle this bike, also and make it look very nice. Take a GOOD look at this image, and I'll think you'll agree, the paint looks like crap. I don't go by that old adage that it is original only once crap if the paint looks this bad. Sure, I wish I could save it, but in the condition the paint is now, it does not do it's job in protecting the underlying metal, it has been compromised, and the rust will only get worse, if it is not repainted. So for this bike, pretty soon it is "Ripperdown Time!"

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
1964 Sears Spaceliner NON-springer fork truss bar set WANTED.

Here is the picture from the 1964 Sears Christmas catalog showing the type of truss bar set I am looking for on my standard front fork bike. I drew arrows pointing to the truss bar set. I believe it has to be mounted onto the fork steer tube before the lower bearing race is pressed on there, (See new image I just posted 10/21/12) before the fork is installed in the headtube on the frame of the bike. I don't think this item is too common, nor is it very easy to find. The catalog picture seen here shows the truss bars on a chrome deluxe Spaceliner, but the bike has a regular fork on it with no springer fork. The 1964 catalog does not have a picture of the standard painted frame Spaceliner, so I really do not know whether the standard bikes had these or not. Lets just say that I want to turn my 'liner into custom a deluxe equipped standard bike. I want to dress the bike out, in other words, minus the chrome frame.

Remember, I not only need the truss bars, but I also need the truss bar mounting plate that slips over the fork steerer tube and sets on top of the fork crown, and then the lower bearing race goes on top of this. (see the picture of the front end of the older Murray built JC Higgins bike with the same truss bar set up as what was on the non springer deluxe 1964 Spaceliners.

Jim.

Attachments

• Sears_1964_Page0305.jpg
    Sears_1964_Page0305.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Truss bar fork crown mounting plate.jpg
    Truss bar fork crown mounting plate.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Here's my now complete and ready to restore Spaceliner that I got at the Trexlertown meet on October 7. Izee2 helped me complete it by selling me the missing hubcap and crashrail.

I'll let you in on something, Jim; you've unknowingly 'Frankened' your bike. That's a base model #46303 Spaceliner, and that version didn't come with a hubcap or seat crash rail. They look nice on the bike, but they aren't original equipment. Everything else on it looks original.

Here's a pic from a 1966 Sears catalog. By the way, the base 46303 model (and the ladies and 24" wheel versions) were the only model Spaceliners to be manufactured for the entire five year life of the Spaceliner brand (64-68). The various chrome 'optioned up' models with top-tube mounted, horizontal tanks ran for two years (64-65) and were then phased out when the down-tube mounted, 7-shape, thrust-forward tank version was introduced from 66-68.

BTW, yours was manufactured between 66-68. The tip-off is the pedals. The only change made between 64-68 was that the 3-jewel reflector pedals on the men's 46303 were changed to a single diamond shape reflector from 66-68 to correspond with the pedals on the new thrust-forward design Spaceliners.

1966_SearsChristmas_Page412.jpg

Here is the picture from the 1964 Sears Christmas catalog showing the type of truss bar set I am looking for on my standard front fork bike. I drew arrows pointing to the truss bar set. I believe it has to be mounted onto the fork steer tube before the lower bearing race is pressed on there, before the fork is installed in the headtube on the frame of the bike. I don't think this item is too common, nor is it very easy to find. The catalog picture seen here shows the truss bars on a chrome deluxe Spaceliner, but the bike has a regular fork on it with no springer fork. The 1964 catalog does not have a picture of the standard painted frame Spaceliner, so I really do not know whether the standard bikes had these or not. Lets just say that I want to turn my 'liner into custom a deluxe equipped standard bike. I want to dress the bike out, in other words, minus the chrome frame.

Jim.

Those truss bars, as you call them, weren't available on the deluxe Spaceliners. They were, however, available on six of the mid-range Spaceliners (there were 20 total Spaceliner models in 64-65 and 30 models in 66-68). As you can see from the picture I posted above, the truss bars were not standard on the model #46303 that you have.

You can find the truss bars on the following models.
#46940 mens 26", 1-speed, non-deluxe
#46980 mens 26", 2-speed, non-deluxe
#46960 boys 24", 1-speed, non-deluxe
#46950 ladies 26", 1-speed, non-deluxe
#46990 ladies 26", 2-speed, non-deluxe
#46970 girls 24", 2-speed, non-deluxe

FYI, none of these models were equipped with a springer fork, and they were also missing rear tail lights. They did come with front head lights and a horn, the same as found on the deluxe versions.

1966_SearsChristmas_Page412.jpg

Last edited:
Back