When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your Chromed Spaceliner style bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
46889_8b2871f458932c9b6e8f2a1e2aafe6ec.jpg

Well, this specimen started out life with a shiny coat of chrome but, by the time I acquired it, the years and the elements had changed that to a coat of iron oxide. I approached it with a range of abrasives and a couple of rattle cans of Krylon Satin Metallic Nickel. I was going for a mid-century jet fighter look (see photo of F-84 Thunderjet). It ain't chrome, but it's OK.
spaceliner1.JPG

F-84.jpg

Dear Mr. ThorH:
I don't know how to figure the exact year of your Strato Flyer, but I can tell you when Sears sold similar bikes. Your bike generally matches the Sears J.C. Higgins Flightliners, which were manufactured by Murray and sold from 1958 thru 1963. Spaceliners, which had a different frame, were offered in 1964 and 1965. Your bike does have one Spaceliner feature, i.e., the plastic cap on the chain wheel. I have a Western Flyer girls model that also has a cap (see pic). The cap may serve as an air intake for the crank turbo-supercharger.

Gotta love the air-to-air, fender-mounted missile system on your Flyer. Much better than strapping your homework books to the front rack. Have fun.

wf1.jpg

I've picked up a couple of Flightliners in the past couple of months. Both need some help in the paint areas. What is everyone using for the red and green colors for racks, etc.
IMG_20190912_122104746.jpg

IMG_20190824_130012951.jpg

IMG_20190824_125901625.jpg

I also picked up a couple of later production Murrays to use for fenders, chainrings, wheels and tires. I figured $50 for the pair would save me a few $$$.
IMG_20190930_144823368.jpg

But my biggest question is about the paint.
TIA
Ed

Back