Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

These ads go away when you register for an account!

dnc1

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 1, 2016
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
That's a great looking bicycle!

HANDLE BAR HORDER

I live for the CABE
Sep 30, 2015
SO CAL
The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
way cool

cds2323

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 20, 2009
Lacota, Mi
My first balloon tire bike was a 1948 Monark built bike. I bought it over 30 years ago. It had an ugly black w/white house paint job. It had no badge, never have figured out what badge fits. Rode that 'black bomber' all over until 1995 when I was involved in a wreck with a car. The frame broke, fork bent, crank and chainring bent, and stem and bars bent. It's been wall art since. Replaced it with a 49 Columbia frame and used all the salvageable parts on it. Later that summer picked up a 1936 Westfield for $200 complete with tank and horn lite. That was when I guess I became a collector versus just someone who rode and liked old bikes.

1948 Monark built 'black bomber'
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1949 Columbia with Monark parts, 1995
image.jpeg

1936 Westfield
image.jpeg

Last edited:

SHO2010

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jul 14, 2016
Ft.Wayne, IN
This is the one that got me started. I always wanted a 5 speed Sting Ray when I was a kid but never got one. One night I saw this 5 speed on ebay at that time it was a complete bike shifter, rims,handlebars, brakes, everything even an orginal seat. Someone had painted it this green over the factory Campus Green. I never got around to stripping the frame and fork and took all the other parts and used them on a blue frame that I got after that. That one is for my 11 year old granddaughter, she has been riding it for the last 3 years. Then things took off from there. Now I want to build a 5 speed Sting Ray for each if my 4 grand kids I have 3 more to go, so when they turn16 they can sell them use money for their first car or keep them.
20161129_174915_resized.jpg
20161129_175050_resized.jpg
20141021_212345_resized_1.jpg
20141021_212455_resized_1.jpg

whizzer kid

I live for the CABE
Mar 23, 2015
Buffalo, United States
My first and kind of rare is this og paint Cycle Truck . Have had now for 2 decades . Plan on passing it to my boys for them to enjoy . Was used as a delivery bike in Chicago originally .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Monarky

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 29, 2012
Ontario, California
image.jpeg
In 2012, I got into collecting classic bikes when I bought this 1947 Monark, which I still have in my collection.

Reactions: None

PCHiggin

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 22, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
this is my first bike, a 1936 CCM Flyte
didn't know what I had, and passed it on for wayyyy to cheap, it was 20 some years ago
I only have actual real copy pictures of it .... yes kids, real pictures
View attachment 403078
Really a cool style.My Dad must have wanted one of those.He was from Tecumseh Ontario,born 1923.He was quick to mention CCM bikes whenever I'd mention the Sting-Ray

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 16, 2008
Seattle, United States
IMG_3257.JPG
Started with this 1989. This is what I got hooked on 1928 Elgin switch tank ......I and still have it. I bought it from the original owner who could barley move it he told me the story of the #4 painted on the tank..

Reactions: fordmike65 and None

REC

I live for the CABE
Dec 6, 2006
Lake Worth, United States
When I got divorced in 2002, I started looking for something to ride off a few pounds (That part didn't work!) and found two Schwinns, listed by the same seller, locally on eBay as pick-up only. Being as they were close, I stuck a bid on both of them figuring I might end up with one. I ended up with two.
These are them:
my ty.jpg
74 Typhoon

Ratphoon.JPG
Ratphoon

my speedster.jpg
75 Speedster

75 Frankenbike Speedsteray.JPG
Frankenbike Speeedsteray
This led to my need for a 12 step program.
My name is Roland and I am a bicycle addict.

REC

Reactions: Ridemore and None

King Louie

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 31, 2016
Burbank
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
The very first was my beloved tricycle , but the bike that started it all was my 64 Deluxe Stingray I got Xmas morning in 66 as a used bike because my family couldn't afford a new bike , I cried when everyone on their new bikes laughed at my worn Xmas gift , little did I know it's value as it was to become as my best friend as we went from stock to chopper to BMX " stages together

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture