Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

These ads go away when you register for an account!

Jon Olson

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 15, 2009
Stockton, United States
7F09A89C-052F-4075-B829-65D63701E3E4.jpeg
1235AA39-C4A6-4CAA-BE68-DC5699C7FC2F.jpeg
This was my first. I’m on the left and my brothers are to my left. I did my first model D soon after. I still remember my grandfather telling me to keep the parts in the order I took them out. Still can remember lining up the rings and the hub groves. The pedals had 2X4’s bolted to them so that a 6 yr. older could ride a 24”er. Corners were a problem if your crank was in the down position facing the turn!

tjkajecj

Finally riding a big boys bike
Dec 13, 2012
Belleville, Il
This is the bike that started it for me, a 1937 LWB Colson found hanging in my Father-in-law’s leaky garage. Took a while for me to figure out what the manufacture and year was. Spent a number of hours on TheCabe trying to determine, on my own, what it was. I was amazed how well built these old bikes were. I do not normally repaint my bikes, but this one had been repainted numerous times over the years. Very smooth riding bike. The only issue is... I now have a garage full of prewar bikes.

Tim

IMAG0852.jpg
IMG_2130.JPG

A_J

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 10, 2017
Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol.
IMG_20170611_014219266.jpg
IMG_20180205_001423343.jpg

PCHiggin

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 22, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol. View attachment 758679 View attachment 758680
Lucky find! Probably not many your age would know what they found

Reactions: A_J

PCHiggin

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 22, 2008
Ryderwood, United States
All original. First Krate at 50 years old. 12 years ago. Look close, it has the original pogo.

View attachment 404427
I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.

stoney

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 19, 2013
Fuquay Varina, NC, United States
I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.
I am still pissed at myself for not keeping it. I had 2 '68 Orange Krates at that time, both OG owner bikes. They were both in about the same condition. 1 had a speedo on it that said 41 miles. I know it was because I knew the OG owner. We grew up together. The '68 Orange is my favorite.

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
  • My hometown of Fitchburg, MA is the proud sponsor of the second oldest bike race in the country, the Longsjo Classic ! My wife and I own a small business directly on Main Street so YEARS ago, I had the idea of trying to locate an old "Made in Fitchburg" racing bike to display in our window during the event in order to promote it and also create a little interest. Well, I did manage to locate and purchase this vintage Iver Johnson made "Lovell Special" and proudly showed it off to anyone who cared to see it. Little did I know that this one bike would lead to the collection I have to this day. (see link below)
  • Pete in Fitchburg​
  • lovell special.JPG

Last edited:

saladshooter

I live for the CABE
Nov 30, 2014
Littleton, CO
Unfortunately no picture, but the bike that hooked me was an original paint sky blue with red darts and white pinstripes1936 Shelby stainless banana tank with a Lindy badge. Condition was 7-8. He sold it before I got enough nerve to ask if he'd sell...still searching for it.

I saw it while viewing one of the "Evolution" collections that my cousin married into. I had no idea of vintage bicycles before that day. My Dad wanted a Schwinn B6 that we saw. I bought it for him after he left and it sat in my living room for 6 weeks before I saw him for Thanksgiving. I missed it and knew I needed to replace it with my own.

I own 3 stainless banana tanks now. But would sell any if I could find the Lindy...

Chad

hotrod

Oct 30, 2014
fremont nebraska
at the time I did not know what a monark was just knew it was cool. that bike also brought me to the cabe. I only have two old bikes
DSCN0640.JPG

right now but some have came and whent. I wish I had the room for some of the collections I see on here.

mazdaflyer

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 16, 2010
Mid-West
13dc151810f5c66f8c2e446f099785d1.jpg

1995 Schwinn Moab S, downhill from then on.
Then this ‘49 Schwinn started the old stuff.
402037c7ba0a80e706093749ad326a42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: piercer_99

3-speeder

Dec 26, 2017
Lansing, MI, United States
Back in the early 90's I picked up every free bike and bit that was laying by the curb. I had a basement full of bikes and parts in the house I was renting. It was an old house with an outside cellar door. When I knew I was leaving I ended up giving it all away. Fast forward to 2016. I had been watching these old Schwinns in an electrical room of a building I did some work at. They had been there for months and seemed as though they were abandoned. When the building went up for sale around New Years I caught the owner and asked about the bikes. He said take em. I picked them up that day, the day before my birthday, early January 2017. A 71 Racer and 69 Breeze. Here's a pic of the Racer. Not long after that the bug that had gone dormant resurfaced and I went about filling my current basement.

image.jpg

3-speeder

Dec 26, 2017
Lansing, MI, United States
Back in the early 90's I picked up every free bike and bit that was laying by the curb. I had a basement full of bikes and parts in the house I was renting. It was an old house with an outside cellar door. When I knew I was leaving I ended up giving it all away. Fast forward to 2016. I had been watching these old Schwinns in an electrical room of a building I did some work at. They had been there for months and seemed as though they were abandoned. When the building went up for sale around New Years I caught the owner and asked about the bikes. He said take em. I picked them up that day, the day before my birthday, early January 2017. A 71 Racer and 69 Breeze. Here's a pic of the Racer. Not long after that the bug that had gone dormant resurfaced and I went about filling my current basement.

View attachment 1065811
I guess I did hang on to this one. Just liked the way it looked. I think it's a Western Flyer Meteor Flyer

image.jpg

piercer_99

I live for the CABE
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
this is kind of complex, as my 1950's Bantam that was the first two wheeler I had is long gone, and as I was 5, I didn't really appreciate an old bike, as it was old and my older brothers and sisters had it before me. Then a 20" Spitfire in 66, a Stingray in 70, that I traded for a 'real' bike, a Puegeot 10 speed, finally ending up with my brand new 1978 Good Vibrations, which I still have.

The cross over was when I got my 1963 Murray built, Otasco Flying O Lancer, it all went down hill from there.
farm bike.jpg

20190526_124328.jpg

The thing was, when I was a little kid, I first heard of the mythical Pierce bicycle, and as my name is Pierce, I always wanted one. I have the Model BR Amateur Sprint Racer and now I have a DBRR Motobike on the way to get back on the road also.

IMG954541.jpg

20190709_201201.jpg

I have always loved riding bikes, it is the closest thing to flying for me, high speed at low altitude. The freedom of the wind in your face and the road passing by is like nothing else in the world to me. I collect bikes, but I ride every one of them. Some of them, after getting them all together again, I don't care for the ride and pass on to someone else who will love it.

spitshineschwinn

Apr 1, 2019
montgomery, al
I bought this one at the Fort Dix N.J. thrift store in early (March?) 1971 for the princely sum of $15. Some time in the mid-80's the shift cable snapped and there were no bike shops nearby to purchase one. I rode it as a single speed. Sometime in the mid-90's my oldest daughter got it out of the garage, dusted it off, aired up the tires and began riding in her neighborhood with her little girl. She left it parked in the driveway one day after a ride and her husband backed into it with his F-150. It bent the front wheel, front fender, chain ring and scrubbed the handlebars up pretty badly. Ebay had come along by this time, so I was able to purchase the necessary parts to repair it. I could have saved myself a lot of money if I had known that a 1970 Breeze 26" bike could have been purchased as a donor bike quite cheaply. I have invested more money than this Racer is worth, but it doesn't matter - it has a fortune of sentimental value for me. It also re-ignited my love for the Schwinn bikes I could never afford during my childhood. My collection now numbers 8 Schwinns, but this one will always be special to me.
IMG_1565.JPG

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture