When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
That's a great looking bicycle!

The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
way cool

My first balloon tire bike was a 1948 Monark built bike. I bought it over 30 years ago. It had an ugly black w/white house paint job. It had no badge, never have figured out what badge fits. Rode that 'black bomber' all over until 1995 when I was involved in a wreck with a car. The frame broke, fork bent, crank and chainring bent, and stem and bars bent. It's been wall art since. Replaced it with a 49 Columbia frame and used all the salvageable parts on it. Later that summer picked up a 1936 Westfield for $200 complete with tank and horn lite. That was when I guess I became a collector versus just someone who rode and liked old bikes.

1948 Monark built 'black bomber'
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1949 Columbia with Monark parts, 1995
image.jpeg

1936 Westfield
image.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the one that got me started. I always wanted a 5 speed Sting Ray when I was a kid but never got one. One night I saw this 5 speed on ebay at that time it was a complete bike shifter, rims,handlebars, brakes, everything even an orginal seat. Someone had painted it this green over the factory Campus Green. I never got around to stripping the frame and fork and took all the other parts and used them on a blue frame that I got after that. That one is for my 11 year old granddaughter, she has been riding it for the last 3 years. Then things took off from there. Now I want to build a 5 speed Sting Ray for each if my 4 grand kids I have 3 more to go, so when they turn16 they can sell them use money for their first car or keep them.
20161129_174915_resized.jpg
20161129_175050_resized.jpg
20141021_212345_resized_1.jpg
20141021_212455_resized_1.jpg

Back