When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

-
The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
That's a great looking bicycle!

The bike that started it all for me was this 1962 Columbia Firebolt that I happened to find. I was immediately attracted to the bike's integrated rack and Firebolt logo. When I purchased the bike, it barely had any paint, was missing its fenders, and had wheels that were in terrible shape. Over the course of a year and with the help of good friends I was able to restore and customize the bike to what it is today. Now I've grown to really enjoy riding and working on old bikes and have 4 ranging from 1941-1962.
View attachment 379199
way cool

My first balloon tire bike was a 1948 Monark built bike. I bought it over 30 years ago. It had an ugly black w/white house paint job. It had no badge, never have figured out what badge fits. Rode that 'black bomber' all over until 1995 when I was involved in a wreck with a car. The frame broke, fork bent, crank and chainring bent, and stem and bars bent. It's been wall art since. Replaced it with a 49 Columbia frame and used all the salvageable parts on it. Later that summer picked up a 1936 Westfield for $200 complete with tank and horn lite. That was when I guess I became a collector versus just someone who rode and liked old bikes.

1948 Monark built 'black bomber'
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

1949 Columbia with Monark parts, 1995
image.jpeg

1936 Westfield
image.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the one that got me started. I always wanted a 5 speed Sting Ray when I was a kid but never got one. One night I saw this 5 speed on ebay at that time it was a complete bike shifter, rims,handlebars, brakes, everything even an orginal seat. Someone had painted it this green over the factory Campus Green. I never got around to stripping the frame and fork and took all the other parts and used them on a blue frame that I got after that. That one is for my 11 year old granddaughter, she has been riding it for the last 3 years. Then things took off from there. Now I want to build a 5 speed Sting Ray for each if my 4 grand kids I have 3 more to go, so when they turn16 they can sell them use money for their first car or keep them.
20161129_174915_resized.jpg
20161129_175050_resized.jpg
20141021_212345_resized_1.jpg
20141021_212455_resized_1.jpg

Back