When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

-
7F09A89C-052F-4075-B829-65D63701E3E4.jpeg
1235AA39-C4A6-4CAA-BE68-DC5699C7FC2F.jpeg
This was my first. I’m on the left and my brothers are to my left. I did my first model D soon after. I still remember my grandfather telling me to keep the parts in the order I took them out. Still can remember lining up the rings and the hub groves. The pedals had 2X4’s bolted to them so that a 6 yr. older could ride a 24”er. Corners were a problem if your crank was in the down position facing the turn!

This is the bike that started it for me, a 1937 LWB Colson found hanging in my Father-in-law’s leaky garage. Took a while for me to figure out what the manufacture and year was. Spent a number of hours on TheCabe trying to determine, on my own, what it was. I was amazed how well built these old bikes were. I do not normally repaint my bikes, but this one had been repainted numerous times over the years. Very smooth riding bike. The only issue is... I now have a garage full of prewar bikes.

Tim

IMAG0852.jpg
IMG_2130.JPG

Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol.
IMG_20170611_014219266.jpg
IMG_20180205_001423343.jpg

Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol. View attachment 758679 View attachment 758680
Lucky find! Probably not many your age would know what they found

Reactions: A_J
All original. First Krate at 50 years old. 12 years ago. Look close, it has the original pogo.

View attachment 404427
I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.

I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.

I am still pissed at myself for not keeping it. I had 2 '68 Orange Krates at that time, both OG owner bikes. They were both in about the same condition. 1 had a speedo on it that said 41 miles. I know it was because I knew the OG owner. We grew up together. The '68 Orange is my favorite.

• My hometown of Fitchburg, MA is the proud sponsor of the second oldest bike race in the country, the Longsjo Classic ! My wife and I own a small business directly on Main Street so YEARS ago, I had the idea of trying to locate an old "Made in Fitchburg" racing bike to display in our window during the event in order to promote it and also create a little interest. Well, I did manage to locate and purchase this vintage Iver Johnson made "Lovell Special" and proudly showed it off to anyone who cared to see it. Little did I know that this one bike would lead to the collection I have to this day. (see link below)
  • Pete in Fitchburg​
  • lovell special.JPG

Last edited:
Back