When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your First Bike That Started It All

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
7F09A89C-052F-4075-B829-65D63701E3E4.jpeg
1235AA39-C4A6-4CAA-BE68-DC5699C7FC2F.jpeg
This was my first. I’m on the left and my brothers are to my left. I did my first model D soon after. I still remember my grandfather telling me to keep the parts in the order I took them out. Still can remember lining up the rings and the hub groves. The pedals had 2X4’s bolted to them so that a 6 yr. older could ride a 24”er. Corners were a problem if your crank was in the down position facing the turn!

This is the bike that started it for me, a 1937 LWB Colson found hanging in my Father-in-law’s leaky garage. Took a while for me to figure out what the manufacture and year was. Spent a number of hours on TheCabe trying to determine, on my own, what it was. I was amazed how well built these old bikes were. I do not normally repaint my bikes, but this one had been repainted numerous times over the years. Very smooth riding bike. The only issue is... I now have a garage full of prewar bikes.

Tim

IMAG0852.jpg
IMG_2130.JPG

Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol.
IMG_20170611_014219266.jpg
IMG_20180205_001423343.jpg

Late 30s tall c model. Was free since I pulled it from junk pile brought it home rinsed it off put new tires on and rode it down the street. fell in love. That was probably about only 4 or 5 years ago but I've been scooping up bikes ever since. I'm only 28 so I missed out on everything good as far as I'm concerned lol. View attachment 758679 View attachment 758680
Lucky find! Probably not many your age would know what they found

Reactions: A_J
All original. First Krate at 50 years old. 12 years ago. Look close, it has the original pogo.

View attachment 404427
I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.

I had the same about 10 or so years ago. Feb. '68 with original orange line knobby. I thought my Son would love it but he couldnt get a good wheelie and his Fastback was much faster. I almost wish I had kept it,they're totally cool looking.

I am still pissed at myself for not keeping it. I had 2 '68 Orange Krates at that time, both OG owner bikes. They were both in about the same condition. 1 had a speedo on it that said 41 miles. I know it was because I knew the OG owner. We grew up together. The '68 Orange is my favorite.

• My hometown of Fitchburg, MA is the proud sponsor of the second oldest bike race in the country, the Longsjo Classic ! My wife and I own a small business directly on Main Street so YEARS ago, I had the idea of trying to locate an old "Made in Fitchburg" racing bike to display in our window during the event in order to promote it and also create a little interest. Well, I did manage to locate and purchase this vintage Iver Johnson made "Lovell Special" and proudly showed it off to anyone who cared to see it. Little did I know that this one bike would lead to the collection I have to this day. (see link below)
  • Pete in Fitchburg​
  • lovell special.JPG

Last edited:
Back