When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about HVLP mini spray guns

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Also, when you speak of the SATA hvlp, do you mean the SataJet 4000? That's the one I seem to raff the most positive reviews of.

hvlp-patterns.jpg

[/Air PressureB]
Another important factor is air pressure. Before painting I will test the adjustments on a large piece of cardboard. Most paint manufacturers will give you a recommended pressure for an HVLP gun which is very low but this is measured at the fluid tip and you have no way of checking this that I know of.
My regulator/dryer on the wall is set to about 80 psi to get plenty of volume to the gun. My regulator at the gun inlet is set to 28-38 psi. Open your fan size adjustment and fluid volume adjustment screws on the gun about a turn and check the spray pattern. Compare it to the chart above and make necessary changes. Your fan size should of course be made smaller when painting a bike so you don't waste paint. Your pressure will vary with your compressor, air lines and spray gun. It's not that hard with a little practice. Good luck ! Joe

The sata minijet and 4000 are pretty much the same from my understanding.

You will NOT need a full quart of paint per bike unless you are really spraying heavy. I use about a half a quart. I like to put on a little more than normal because if you burn through when color sanding you will smash the bike out of frustration.

Primer depends on how pitted the frame is. But you thin it out quite a bit before spray so I would think about a half quart max per deluxe bike. Spray it on heavy and don't worry about runs. It doesn't have to be pretty. The key is to get enough on. Then you will sand most of it off. Heavily pitted bikes might require priming, sanding, priming again.

I use a dp k200 or equivalent filler primer surfacer after a etching primer on parts if there is a lot of small pits in the part. This increases the chance of chipping and will need to be painted soon after if you use a base coat clear paint. If not it will peal off. If no pits the use a etching primer the fill some tiny spots with filler over the primer. It's non sand able but you can sand it just not so easy. Then paint it. This ensures the paint will adhere better and slightly harder to chip. I have a sata I love it's the best gun but costs a lot not for frames but cars is best for it. For frames I'd use a smaller gun like a touch up. A cheaper gun will do as long as you clean it up thoroughly not Chinese specials they are junk must be fairly priced and easy to clean.

Last edited:
And your paint should last a very long time if you just put the lid on right. I have tons of paint. Man, not sure what I am going to do with all my paint. I haven't painted in a while and haven't used any of my equipment.

You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice and help, I appreciate it. I'm going to order some paint tomorrow, and paint a few test frames, but here soon, when I've actually painted a 'good' frame, I'll post some pics, here, and elsewhere in the forum.

You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice and help, I appreciate it. I'm going to order some paint tomorrow, and paint a few test frames, but here soon, when I've actually painted a 'good' frame, I'll post some pics, here, and elsewhere in the forum.

You may have some luck with getting free automotive paint that was left over. Call a few of the high volume body/paint shops in your area and see if they will give you some old paint for practicing. Ask them for the type of paint that you plan on using for your projects so that you can get an idea of how it sprays.

Imo

This is just my opinion, and most probably irrelevant to you. I still use siphon feed guns for all of my restorations. I prefer siphon feed over HVLP because they are
without a doubt superior. Unfortunately the "Government" "EPA" has outlawed these guns in most states including mine. I have painted professionally for 43 years
doing custom paint and airbrushing. Siphon Feed gives you a much finer spray because it uses much more air. The EPA decided that this created too much air bourn
pollutants so they are making everyone use HVLP ( High Volume Low Pressure) guns. Just from the description alone, you can tell that the HVLP lays on a heaver coat of paint with less air pressure. Therefore, you, the painter have much less discretion with the amount of paint and force used to apply. Fortunately airbrushes are still siphon feed.
I have a collection of excellent vintage Devilbiss spray guns including very small guns for detail work. I have no neighbors and no one can see my location, so I can still use my guns as I please, You can still buy excellent vintage siphon feed guns at swap meets and probably on the internet. Back in the early 70s, I airbrushed and painted many murals on
our "Hippy" vans. I am 60 now, and those days are gone, but at least I can still paint with my original equipment. The government has taken enough away from us including incandescent light bulb, what will be next!.

AGAIN...This is my opinion along with some actual facts, so please don't get pissed off at me and write nasty replies......................Wayne

Great info.

If you are going to get serious you need two guns. A painting gun and a piece of crap for priming.

For painting I shot with the Finex gun you have for years. Decent gun and better than a harbor freight bottom feeder POS or even their HVLP. However, after years of using the finex which was a caddy compared to the others mentioned I bought a used Sata touchup gun off of craigslist for $200. I broke it all down and cleaned it. OMG!!!!! It craps all over the finex. The first trigger pull I literally looked down at the gun and said "Holy Shxx". It's the Bentley of guns. Also, major plus is using the 3m PPS system. There is an attachment you can use in place of the stock cup. This can probably be purchased for the Finex as well. Check out 3m PPS on youtube and learn about it. You will save a ton in cleaning solvents as well as messy cleanups.

My finex gun is now my primer gun. If you plan on painting a lot get a Sata. I bet you can get a used one off of ebay or clist cheap.

However, I still know professional painters shooting with POS harbor freight guns. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Once you eat steak for dinner you will no longer want hamburger helper.

This is great info! Going to print this out and post it in my spray booth.

View attachment 197836
[/Air PressureB]
Another important factor is air pressure. Before painting I will test the adjustments on a large piece of cardboard. Most paint manufacturers will give you a recommended pressure for an HVLP gun which is very low but this is measured at the fluid tip and you have no way of checking this that I know of.
My regulator/dryer on the wall is set to about 80 psi to get plenty of volume to the gun. My regulator at the gun inlet is set to 28-38 psi. Open your fan size adjustment and fluid volume adjustment screws on the gun about a turn and check the spray pattern. Compare it to the chart above and make necessary changes. Your fan size should of course be made smaller when painting a bike so you don't waste paint. Your pressure will vary with your compressor, air lines and spray gun. It's not that hard with a little practice. Good luck ! Joe

Back